Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warp 10 Searing technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warp 10 Searing technique

I've been looking for ways to improve my searing ability on the reverse sear, and have had wonderful success with the following method and was wondering if anyone uses this:
    Simply lay a GrillGrate directly ontop of the pile of coals and let it get super-heated while the meat is cooking low and slow on the indirect side. Once it is ready for the reverse sear, I remove the weber cooking grate and drop the meat onto the GrillGrate sitting on the coals. I am always greeted with a very satisfying sizzle, incredible crust, and no flare ups. I figure this is similar to Alton Brown's method of putting steaks directly on coals, but I think this is better.
    Thoughts? I know this isn't groundbreaking, but I don't think I have seen it mentioned.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I would never put a steak directly on charcoal, to me there's just no need to risk the ash deposit on your food.

Comment

I actually used that technique a month ago with some steaks. Your right, it worked great!

Comment

Steven Raichlen does this quite a bit. Lump charcoal, thick steaks...toss them right on the coals, flip and you are done. He keeps a small brush in case any lump sticks but says its minimal at best. Point of note: DO NOT try this with briquette charcoal...only lump!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here