Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family emergency mid cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family emergency mid cook

Hey gang. I've got a brisket going and a pork butt and had to leave. My step dad is at the helm. I told him when it's done to wrap it and put in a warm cooler. I had to cancel the party until tomorrow. What's the best thing to do with the meat so it's still tasty tomorrow evening?
    Sorry for the second post. I realize I put this in the wrong place...

Once it's finished (probe-tender, etc) let it come to room temp on the counter, then fridge it. Then tomorrow pop it in your grill/smoker/over, still wrapped, until it's back up north of 140, say 160. Give it 2 or 3 hours to re-heat to be safe but I'm not really sure how long it'll take.

Comment

Excellent idea just cool when finished, no need to Cambro.it will take an hour or more to cool to 140.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 17, 2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Sounds to me like th best things to do is to:

1>Clearly define "done" to step dad, in case he ain't experienced too much with briskets, or butts...

2>Do as Huskee said, let it cool down, some, then wrap securely, even double wrap with th brisky, to preserve precious moisture...

3> What's usually worked fer me is to (still wrapped) slowly reheat at yer ovens lowest (Warm) temp, until ya reach both safe an desired servin temps...open em up, if ya want, after a spell, when yer desired IT approacheth, an let em git back some bark firmness...it'll all be a'ight...

Comment

Ok thanks everyone! It's cooling right now. He got the brisket off right at 203 and the butt at 196. I think it'll be good. I'll definitely bring it up low and slow. What a day! My poor daughter broke her arm just a month after getting a cast off her other arm from playing basketball. Thanks for the tips, I know she loves bbq and
          was bummed we had to cancel the party.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Hope yer daughter is doin well, alla th rest is rather inconsequential...Please, tell her Mr. Bones sends along his very best regards fer a speedy recovery...

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            What a bummer! But on the other hand (yeah, bad pun) I recently broke my leg and with the meds I got I contemplated breaking the other. ;-) Wish her well for us.

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Wish us the best from us also. The mountain smoker family wishes her a rapid recovery.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here