Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this Picanha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this Picanha?

Is it as simple as "sirloin cap = picanha" or is there anything else that makes this hunk of beef different than traditional picanha? At 6 lbs, I feel like this is bigger than most of the cuts labelled "picanha" that I have seen for sale, which makes me think maybe it's not exactly the same but includes picanha plus something more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190814_163942.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	730634

The Picanha I have purchased from my butcher looks like this

Click image for larger version  Name:	meat.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	730645

Click image for larger version  Name:	meat2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	730646
    Last edited by Oozzy; August 16, 2019, 07:50 AM.

Comment

No that's a top sirloin roast. The Picanha or rump cap (also known as the culotte) lies on top of that roast, it's a different muscle altogether.

Comment

• jumbo7676
        jumbo7676 commented
        Editing a comment
        Should it then be labeled "roast" instead of "cap"? Perhaps it is my lack of butchering knowledge that is causing my confusion, but I assumed labeling it "cap" meant it came form a larger roast but not a roast on its own.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        It might possibly have the culottes attached but I highly doubt it, not at that price, but I could be wrong. What they refer to by calling it the top sirloin Cap is the lower muscle group of the sirloin sub primal has been removed.

Use of the term "cap" suggested the same thing to me.

Spuce Eats says it is:

I didn't think 6 pounds sounded too heavy, but this source puts it at 3.8 pounds, so not sure, could be how it was trimmed:

http://animalrangeextension.montana....sBreakdown.pdf Page 7

I would have liked to see if from the side; basically, I'm not sure.

Comment

Each pack has two in it. I have one of those from costco in my freezer and haven't confirmed but the butcher told me there are two.

Comment

Top sirloin cap is the most common North American name for the same cut as picanha. Also called rump cap and/or coulotte. However the North American cuts usually have most of the fat cap removed. Picanha is seldom over 3-4 pounds, so what you have probably includes more of the top sirloin.

Last edited by johnec00; August 16, 2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• johnec00
            johnec00 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, and I should add that I've had one "butcher" tell me that tri-tip and picanha are the same thing!!!!!!!!!!

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I've run into this problem of what butchers call a "particular" cut of meat, what was labeled as chuck turned out to be a tri tip in my case.
            Again thank you to Troutman and texastweeter for rescuing my cook.
            Here most meat is processed and packaged off-site so butchering is becoming a lost art and so is the knowledge of what a particular cut of meat actually is.

From Sous Vide Everything on Youtube: It comes from the sirloin cap. The video will explain it better. The 3rd vein to the edge is cut off (about an inch wide strip) and the rest is picanha.
          Last edited by JimLinebarger; August 17, 2019, 12:33 PM. Reason: Didn't save the link.

Comment

I think this is probably mislabeled. I've seen it happen at our Costco. At that price it would be whole TS either cap on or cap off. If you look at the other side and see a fat cap, then it's cap on, if no fat cap then it's cap off. Our store removes the cap from the whole and trims all the fat cap off and then slices into TS Cap steaks at $9.99/lb.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here