Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet Aging Brisket/Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet Aging Brisket/Beef

I little while back someone discussed leaving a vacuum sealed brisket in the refrigerator for upwards of 90 days to wet age it. My question is, how does wet aging affect the flavor of the beef?

I have a prime packer in the freezer now that I had in the refrigerator for two weeks before I threw it in the freezer. Will I taste any difference after two weeks of wet aging?

Is more about tenderizing.

Comment

Originally posted by JPGators17 View Post
      I little while back someone discussed leaving a vacuum sealed brisket in the refrigerator for upwards of 90 days to wet age it. My question is, how does wet aging affect the flavor of the beef?

I have a prime packer in the freezer now that I had in the refrigerator for two weeks before I threw it in the freezer. Will I taste any difference after two weeks of wet aging?
      As texastweeter said, wet-aging is more about tenderizing than flavor enhancement.

Wet-aging does not tend to enhance flavor (although some people will swear it does). Rather, wet-aging allows breakdown of meat fibers over time and produces a more tender piece of meat. I always wet-age my briskets.

If you want to age with the goal of flavor enhancement, then do dry-aging. That dehydrates the meat and forms a crusty outer layer (which must be shaved off before cooking). In essence, the dehydration halves the meat by weight, thereby producing meat that has much more flavor per bite. That's the reason dry-aged steaks cost so much.

Comment

And BTW, wet-aging for only two weeks is not going to do much for your brisket. 28 days has been determined (by trial and error) to be the optimum time for wet-aging beef. 21 days minimum, and some people (like myself) go 40 days.

Comment

Aged is a little better. Tender, as the fella's mentioned. I've gone out to 80 days and it definitely gets to probe tender a few hours faster, and the color looks a little more like Pastrami. I would like to do some side-by-side tests and get more data on the topic.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I am not intentionally wet aging, I just had the one brisket in my garage refrigerator for two weeks before I remembered to freeze it. I also have one I got last week still in the refrigerator. I am cooking both for a tailgate in 9 days, so I was asking mainly to be sure that I can leave the second one in the refrigerator and go ahead and thaw the first one without any extreme impact on the finished product. It sounds like both should be good to go.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here