Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tri tip recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tri tip recipes

I'm looking for tri tip recipes. I want to do one using my slow n sear. Any info would be appreciated. Have already used the slow n sear (got it last week) for spare ribs and a chuck eye steak. Great results and easier clean-up than my WSM. Recommend it for small quantity cooks.

Comment

FI did tri tip this weekend, WEBER and SNS.

25 briquettes of KBB, light and let to start to ash over.

rub for tri tip I don’t have exact measurements at the moment, but here’s a guide. S/P was 1 to 1 ratio, sugar was 3tsp I think, and 2TBS of dried parsley

kosher salt
      black pepper
      demarara sugar
      dry parsley

then on the indirect side and let it go until 90*, flip and let it go until 124*. It took about 60 minutes for me to get mine to temp, with the kettle going at about 245*.

Then sear it and you can do this on with a 3/4 full of already lit briquettes, or go to a gasser or finish in a cast iron to get a nice finish. Flip the tri tip every 30 seconds to keep even cooking, each side 2-3 times depending on how hot you are cooking.

you can look up Santa Maria style rub for guidance as well, but it turns out really well!
      Last edited by barelfly; August 14, 2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I like to keep it real simple and let the cut shine through. Just salt brine for a couple of hours then add pepper or a rub. Last time I use s Santa Maria rub. Then throw it on the grill at about 250F until it hit 90F IT flipping once. Move it over the coals flipping several times until 125F to 135F. Slice and enjoy

Comment

I do a reverse sear. Slow cook (225-250) until 118-120 internal temp then pull off and get those coals hot. Now I sear the outside for 1 min each side twice. I use Montreal Steak seasoning for the rub.

Comment

• RustyHaines
            RustyHaines commented
            Editing a comment
            This is exactly how I do mine too. Including the Montreal. Very important to get the cross grain slicing right.

Dry brine. black pepper, garlic granules. Optional onion granules. Smoke with red oak. Reverse sear to 125. Santa Maria Style!

Comment

I think im one of the few people here who actually prefers doing tri-tip something akin to hot and fast. Load a SnS on a weber with reversed grill grates on there. Let the grill grates heat up. Cook the trip tip on the further side from the coals and flip often until i hit internal temp of choice. For some reason, i have not loved tri-tip done reverse sear.

Those grill grates get hot so like i was saying, this is something closer to hot and fast but obviously not over open flame.

Ive been going a different direction with beef rubs recently. Inspired by Ms O'Learys cow crust which i think i have decided i like better than BBBR or something similar. I get fresh rosemary, chives, a little basil from my garden. Blend it up with olive/avocado oil and some mustard seed and pepper. Slather that on as a paste after dry brining.

So far ive done that on Texas dino ribs (blasphemy im sure ) and last night i did it on a flat iron. Both were delicious.

Comment

How To BBQ Right Hot and Fast
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-eN6jp5bHU

I always just do a rub and do a reverse sear. Most important thing is monitoring your temps. How you get there is not as important as stopping at the right temp/doneness.

Comment

Thanks to all...I kept it simple....kosher salt five hours before putting on the grill....number 10 butcher pepper
                just before grilling....half a chimney of Kingsford....flipped it at 90*….took it up to 120*….added fifteen lit briquettes...
                brushed with olive oil and then seared 90 seconds on each side....rest for 10 minutes, slice against the grain...holy
                cow!!! Excellent.....I will do many more tri tips....

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're hooked now. Congrats on that tasty cook.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here