Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identifying COSTCO beef cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identifying COSTCO beef cut

. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190803_111221043_HDR.jpg
Views:	17456
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	724758

Looking for help identifying this beef cut from COSTCO. They are called Beef Chuck Short Ribs Boneless Never seen them before. Not cheap at $9.99/pound. Hoping to become smarter. I would have asked a butcher there but I usually find them very courteous but not very informative.

And please ignore the "blade tenderized . . . .cook it until it is grey meat" BS. Already has me buying my beef elsewhere.

Not sure of the cut, never smoked them. They turned out great in the Instant Pot though.

Comment

Not sure,,,,
      great fat content,,,,,grab a beer fire up the Weber 22 or whatever,,,a lil rock salt and throw it on the grill,,,,
      If you can chew it and taste it,,,ur on the right track,,,if not SMOKE IT !!!

Comment

Talk about confusing. They are cut from the chuck next to the ribs. Thus the marbling. I would probably cook them low and slow. They look to big to be from the short rib area.

Comment

I can tell you they are mighty tasty cooked low and slow.

Comment

You might want to read through this post...
            https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-ribs-question
            Those look like the same thing and low and slow is the way. I sous vide per the post and they were super.

That Costco price does look high to me.

Comment

They are https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/defau...eef%5B1%5D.pdf page 42.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                Actually, I think they are item 130 on page 43. No?

Dr ROK Yo are correct.

Comment

What you see is what's beneath the chuck eye roll (sometimes called the American roll). The American roll is sold as a separate roast, it's the final portion of the longissimus dorsi muscle, or the muscle that starts at the back of the animal, runs through the rib section (that's the ribeye) and terminates at the blade bone in the chuck section.

What's left on the bottom of the chuck is a heavily marbled, flat muscle that's cut cross sectionally and sold as boneless short ribs. Visually they appear to be the same as a short rib but that's where it ends. If you try to grill them you end up with a very tough cut of meat. Remember, everything in the chuck is the shoulder muscle. It's a working muscle that contains lots of connection tissue that needs breaking down. If you braise or slow smoke these mock short ribs they come out fine. Just don't treat them like you would a steak or something cooked fast and hot. You get rubber bands.

I'd pass at $9.99/lb, that's too much for what is essentially chuck.

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "What's left on the bottom of the chuck is a heavily marbled, flat muscle that's cut cross sectionally and sold as boneless short ribs."

Rhomboides major and minor perhaps?

Answered my own question from Bkhuna 's reference:

Item No. 130 - Beef Chuck, Short Ribs - This item may be derived from the arm portion of any IMPS chuck item and shall include ribs 2 through 5, M. intercostales interni, and M. serratus ventralis. This item shall be trimmed practically free of surface fat. The dorsal edge shall have no evidence of the cartilaginous junctures of the ribs and thoracic vertebrae.

Item No. 130A - Beef Chuck, Short Ribs, Boneless (IM) - This item is prepared from Item No. 130 and shall consist of the M. serratus ventralis from the arm portion of the chuck. The ribs and M. intercostales interni shall be removed. This item shall have at least four rib marks extending to the dorsal and ventral edge of the M. serratus ventralis. This item shall be trimmed practically free of fat and shall be no less than ½-inch (13 mm) thick at any point.

Comment

Smoke those babies up man. They will be damn good!

Comment

If they're really chuck short ribs, you'll be able to see where the rib bones were cut away like these:

​

In any event, make pastrami the way David Parrish suggested in his "SVQ pastrami - perfected" post some time ago.

Here's my result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6110178.JPG
Views:	2196
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	726069

Comment

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree. This looks like an awesome cut for the SVQ Pastrami recipe!

Can’t help with the identification (and it looks like that’s been covered sufficiently well enough), but I can share that I picked up a pack of these from Costco on accident the other day and they came out really well.

Cooked them up on the PBC, slapped a little sauce on them during the last 15 minutes or so, just enough to get the sauce tacky and took them to probe tender. Sweet little meat treats! 😃👍

Would I do it again? Probably not given the price, but for a purchasing error the story came out ok. LOL!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                      ComfortablyNumb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I hate it when meat 'accidently' winds up in my shopping cart. Pisses me off so much I cook it and eat it. ;-)

HA! I was pretty sure it wasn’t chicken, but past that... 😂😂😂

Actually was in the process of trying to master beef ribs. Had just bought a rack of plate ribs somewhere else, and stopped in to Costco on my way home to see if the had any tomahawk ribeyes available.

They did not, but what’s this - beef ribs? 😱 What the hell, why not... the only number I acknowledge when I bust out the smoker is MOAR! 😈🙌

Got home, opened the package, noted the lack of BONES and after a good laugh, off to the races I went. 👍

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                      ComfortablyNumb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jan probably had something to do with it. If not, she should have....

GAK!!! 😬 I owe you something don’t I ComfortablyNumb?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here