Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse seared flank steak on a PK-360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse seared flank steak on a PK-360

I used the PK charcoal basket with a single layer of Fogo lump, lit from 25 Kingsford Blue from a PBC chimney poured on top of the Fogo. Pit temp got to a little over 300° in about 45 minutes.

Threw in a handful of Mesquite chips and left the steak on the indirect side for 15 minutes or so and then seared it for 2 minutes a side and it temped at 135°. Using the PK charcoal basket limits the amount of heat that can be generated but obviously, it was enough to do the job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190731_181801.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	723507 While the mesquite flavor was not at all overpowering, that handful of chips generated a lot of white smoke which turned clear after about 5 minutes. Next time, I'm going to wait for the smoke to clear up before putting the meat on and see what kind of difference that makes.

I wouldn't worry about the white smoke. If it was gray then that would be a problem. If it tasted fine you know it didn't harm anything. Mighty fine looking meat there.

Comment

So if it looks good, smells good, tastes good & the smoke is white then, ................do not give a rip about the smoke, cuz it is good! And that looks really good!

Comment

Wow that looks so delicious, AZ Fogey . Hope your got to enjoy more than a few bites. I bet it was a fun quick cook.

Kathryn

Comment

mountainsmoker FireMan Thanks for straightening me out about worrying about the smoke.

Comment

fzxdoc LOL, the photo was taken after I'd had my requisite 4 or 5 bites and I was already full. My wife who, sadly, likes everything well done, is going to stir fry the remaining pieces with some veggies and Thai seasonings for her own dinner tonight.

Comment

That looks great. I've never seen a flank steak that thick.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea kinda looks like a London Broil (top round)

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                That was my first thought too. Seeing the title i wondered why you would reverse sear flank steak but then seeing the cut and the finish...seems like the right move. Grade A looking cook man!

Nice looking steak, done just right for my palette

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here