Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs - How to smoke them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Back Ribs - How to smoke them?

I am having an extended family BBQ in Sunday and one person "doesn't eat pork" (although he eats sausages and bacon, go figure.) Any hoo, i bought a couple of packages of supermarket beef back ribs so he doesn't feel left out. It then dawned on me that I had never done beef backs on the smoker. I have only ever sous vided long then grilled off. So, does anybody have the 411 on how to do beef backs low and slow?

Dry brine overnight, slather in hot sauce, hit with your favorite salt free beef rub (whatever you like on brisket) and smoke over oak/mesquite @225°. Take about as long as St Lewis cut.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, mnavarre. I use oak on beef, but I don't really like it on pork. Since I will be cooking beef and pork ribs at the same time, I was hoping someone would tell me that pecan would be good on both, which you just did! 😁

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      I like oak on pork, but usually with a fruit wood also, so oak/apple or oak/cherry, and on ribs I usually just stick to fruit woods. Pecan is just such a great wood for just about everything though. Really makes me question why I've got a giant bag of hickory and a small bag of pecan...

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      Dry brining is always best. I have liked oak on beef the best, if you look at Texas bbq places that is the most common. I have had bad experiences with supermarket beef back ribs, they are usually meager. I go to a butcher for them.I also tend to think that under cooking them is better than over cooking them. I go 190-195.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here