Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short ribs

I got some short ribs, well marbled, good price. The problem is that I never cooked them cut up in the way pictured. Any tips?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tenphases; July 25, 2019, 05:12 PM.

Yowzer. nice hunks of meat. I have nothing to offer except my congratulations on finding them.

Comment

Those are some nice looking short ribs. Do a wet salt brine with a Korean sauce included.

Comment

Interesting way to cut short ribs. That’s what’s called a thick flanken cut. If they were thinner I’d say just grill them, but they are thick enough so I’d go lower and slower. I just like a salt brine and some coarse pepper on mine.

Comment

Check out the pics I posted on Henriks fabricating a parrilla.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice shot A

I have cooked boneless shot ribs that looked similar and I went low and slow. They came out great.

Comment

You might want to check out this thread - especially if you do sous vide...
            https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-ribs-question

Whoops - i looked closer at those beautiful ribs - appears they have bones in them and maybe are a more tender cut - maybe the same method wouldn't be appropriate. Or?
            Last edited by treesmacker; July 25, 2019, 09:57 PM.

Comment

This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I’m going to guess Costco? Saw them in the meat cooler there while perusing and went "Huh, I don’t think I’ve seen these at Costco before...". Opened the package at home and found out they were pre-cut like this.

I’d never cooked them before either, but am pleased to let you know YOU GOT THIS! 💪😃 I dry brined 24 hours before, put my favorite steak rub on them just before they went on, and on the grate of the PBC they went. PBC ran at its usual ~275F, and they got done pretty quickly as all things do in that wonderful machine.

I started doing the probe ("toothpick") test on em at about 185F internal temp, about every five degrees or so, until the probe got that nice feel of pushing it into warm butter feeling. If memory serves correctly, that was right around 200F internal temp.

They came out GREAT! I think yours will too - please report back, let us know your thoughts and HAVE FUN! 😃 First time cooks, especially of the "Not what I was expecting, but let’s see what we can do with this" type, are a whole lot of mad scientist fun!

Comment

It's the same meat regardless of how the butcher cuts it. ~5-7hrs, teat them like you would the regular cut, low & slow at the standard 225-250, take 'em to 195-200, hold 1-2hrs after that, dig in! I follow Meathead's beef ribs article/recipe, they're just little brisket candy bars!

Comment

• barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s what I call them! Brisket on a stick or meat candy!

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would take exception if they were cut thin. Hot fast grilling works great.

Pretty versatile cut in that you can L&S them or grill over an open fire asado style (which is my favorite method). Try it both ways.

Comment

+1 on Huskee's suggestion. Just did some of these no too long ago. Unbelievable!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here