Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib

Well I am doing something new for me thanks to you guys. I have a 4 bone prime rib I pulled out of the freezer and am going to use Meatheads recipe for it and the rub. I will cook it to about 120-125, my wife likes it rare. Any suggestions from you guys. It will be done on my Weber with my DigiQ and Maverick.

Just remember that prime rib is a dish you cannot equitably share.

Comment

If reverse searing, he suggests pulling it pretty early to allow for carryover, which I think is a good idea, depending on you final sear technique.

I have on occasion underestimated time and had to split into steaks mid cook. I ended up deep frying them and finishing the crust over direct coals. Turned out to be the best steaks they’d ever had, so there’s always a backup plan. :-)
      Last edited by Polarbear777; July 24, 2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I agree with my esteemed colleague Polarbear777, put a probe deep in the middle and pull it at 112-115* then reverse sear it to your 125*.

By the way, your wife is correct, prime rib done any more then that is ruined in my book !!!

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea she and I get along pretty well I get the end pieces and she gets the inside pieces..LOL

• Mark V
          Mark V commented
          Editing a comment
          One time I made prime rib for guests, medium rare, and a gal had me throw her slice back on the grill. I wouldn't have made prime rib if I had known that was coming. Hot dogs or hamburgers would have been fine.

Is it a prime rib, or a rib roast (is it USDA prime rated)?

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter the ones we have had before from this supplier are between choice and prime.

pkadare you are one crazy man the best part of a prime rib are the ribs next to the sirloin. The ribs are bigger and the meat is more tender.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually the best part of the prime rib IS closer to the chuck, usually the first 4 bones. It's where the spinalis dorsi is at its thickest.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I too prefer the first cut when not cooking the entire primal. pkadare Troutman

depends on how big the vein of fat is that runs between the spinalis and the eye of ribeye. If large (usually so in sub-prime grade meat) I'll peel back the spinalis and trim out most of that fat vein, then lay the cap back over and truss (I would have removed the bones already and saved as a treat later). If the fat vein is smaller and or softer (you think it will render mostly) I leave it in. Dry brine overnight at least. I then hit it with hot sauce and my BEV0 Bark rub. Into the pit at 225° over oak and mesquite. Once center hits 110° I pull it and let it rest until about 10 minutes before service (I usually let it cool all the way to room temp) then I blast it under high heat either in my convection oven or in the pit at 500-550° for 10 minutes. Remove and slice/serve immediately.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like one hell of a plan.

Well cut it off the bones, tied it up and dry brined. About 4" in circumference. Will make Meathead's wet rub when I get up tomorrow. and then the gravy when the wife gets up.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          that gravy is groovy! If there is any left over, add it to your trimmings and some roasted beef bones and aromatics to make killer stock!

I don't pull mine quite so early to sear on a roast, maybe 5 degrees shy, they're thick enough it takes a bit to affect the middle, plus I tend to prefer a more delicate sear. On a steak I pull earlier but they're thinner. YMMV

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea Huskee I am going to fire up the gasser to seer the outside. No way I could get the charcoal up enough up to sear temp.

You got this. It is actually easy. Season meat, cook meat, cut meat, eat meat.

Don’t judge doneness by color. When first sliced, rib roasts tend to look much redder than you would think for the temp you pulled at. I’ve done over 100 of these. I’m tired of explaining to Mrs Mosca, now I just run her piece under the broiler for a minute.

If you have a rotisserie, use it. Coal up both baskets to the sides and spin that son of a gun. It comes out fabulous!

Click image for larger version  Name:	436F5C44-FB67-4EBD-B011-81E8F29B6092.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	720516

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep Mosca have done many in the oven but first on the smoker. Wife loves it on the rare side so will do it so. I have the DigiQ probe and the Maverik probe to make sure I don't over cook it. LOL Will probably take it to 120.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 25, 2019, 09:44 PM.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I have rotisserated ( FireMan lol) many a prime rib. Personally I like it smoked as my rotisserie is on my Gasser.

Well, how did it go? Waiting with baited breath...

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Later today, your to early. It will have been dry brined about 22 hours when I put it on. Be about 7 your time for dinner.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 26, 2019, 12:36 PM.

Well it came out absolutely fabulous. Almost fork tender to cut. Nearly 4lbs. Cooked to 110 and a piece of cherry wood for smoke. Browned the outside on my gas grill as below. Made the gravy, the wife took one taste and said she was going to make French Onion soup from it. It has to be the best stock going. I have two more of these prime ribs in the freezer. Know how they are going to get treated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0802.JPG Views:	1 Size:	189.6 KB ID:	721098
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 26, 2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here