Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First wagyu tri tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First wagyu tri tip

I'll be cooking my first wagyu try tip this evening. I want to cook it more like steak than roast, medium rare would be great. Are there any things I should do differently than when I cook ribeyes? This is a good piece of meat, I would like to get it right on the first try.
    Last edited by Oak Smoke; July 21, 2019, 11:20 AM.

I use this recipe and method when I do tri tips - very good: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...style_tri_tip/

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you that's exactly what I needed to know.

Few things I do a bit differently than what was posted.

1) I take off the fat cap and silver skin. IMHO, fat cap on a TT does nothing but cause flare ups. Removing the fat cap also allows you to get your rub on the meat. The bark you develop grilling it + the rub is where all the flavor is.

2) I mop my TT every time I turn it, which is 3 minutes a side. Mop sauce adds flavor and keeps the meat moist.

3) I wrap a brick with Al foil and after turning the TT a couple times you’ll notice that the TT swells ( muscles contracting) and a third side forms. I use the al foiled brick as a fence to lean the TT up against and grill that last side.

4) move the TT over to the cool side and finish indirect.

look forward to hearing how a waygu TT tastes.

Comment

Old Mexican buddy of mine taught me on my first one; "season it like a fajita and burn the hell out of it." To this day, I season it heavily with salt pepper cumin, chili, chipotle, and coriander, then blast it high and fast to medrare-rare.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the same cook method. Ive always had better luck hot and fast with a bunch of flipping on tri-tip than low and slow. Inverted grill grates rock for this in my opinion.

The first tri tip was a bit of a surprise to me. The flavor was great, but for some reason it was tougher than I expected, especially considering it was wagyu. I reverse seared mine to 125 then seared it at blazing hot.

Comment

Did you separate the 3 lobes and cut each against the grain. They are all different and it makes a big difference.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I did. Every cut was cross grain. I was really picky on this cook. I must have picked a bad tri tip.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here