Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomahawks - Mastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomahawks - Mastered

Just finished my third tomahawk steak cook, and I’m pleased to report I’m ready to pronounce this cut of meat MASTERED. Always a golden moment for me, when cooking a given thing goes from that feeling of experimentation to "got it down cold."

First attempt about a month and a half ago was good but not great. Second go-round a few weeks back was out of this world good. Here’s the key... today’s cook was again out of this world, which means the results are repeatable and sustainable.

Pics below are of second cook. Shot for medium rare, using the sear in the rear technique. The key that unlocked the great results for me was going direct heat earlier than I had on the first cook, during which I overshot a medium rare and wasn’t happy with the exterior finish. Girlfriend’s baby boy was used as a guinea pig... dude is a bottomless pit when it comes to eating, so I knew he’d be up for the challenge. 😈

Attached Files

That's 1st place on the podium for you Sir.

Comment

Oh how I love a Tomahawk. I salt brine them over night with a Dalmatian blend. Then on the grill. My wife likes a Blue steak so it goes directly over the coals for a minute or two on each side. Mine goes on for 2-3 minutes a side.

Cook on my bud cook on.

Comment

Yup - that looks right.

Comment

I buy these prime and 2" thick. Sous vide to 125 and sear over the hottest charcoals I can make. Takes maybe 60 seconds a side and they are dark brown... crisp up the edge fat and serve with Beurre Maître d'Hôtel. gdsim1 is right to master these as you can certainly impress a guest with these puppies!

Comment

• fracmeister
            fracmeister commented
            Editing a comment
            nope, I have a sealer and double seal the whole thing. I put it in a pot that is big enough to lay flat...doesnt have to be super deep.

• gdsim1
            gdsim1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Kinda thought the bone would poke right through the bag if you vac sealed it. 💁‍♂️ Also, that has got to be a HELLA wide pan, especially if you’re doing more than one at a time... pics? My sous vide experiment was a disaster, but it does fascinate me. 👍

• fracmeister
            fracmeister commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a cooler. And the risk of poking a hole is why I double seal them. I do the same for standing rib roasts, beef tenderloin, aged steaks... anything expensive I double seal!

Nice Job, Brother!
          Rock on, KCMO!!!!

Comment

• gdsim1
            gdsim1 commented
            Editing a comment
            HA! Just trying to keep up with you over there on the west side of town sir! 😃🙌

K,,,if you need anymore guinea pigs ,,,I’m in,,,,

Comment

• gdsim1
            gdsim1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Halfway across the country is a long way to come for a steak, but if you’re ever close hit me up. 👍 Part of the joy of ‘que is the company and being a good host. 😇

Love the Tomahawk and you did nail it! Will done.

Comment

Nothing like a well made bone-in ribeye.

Comment

Meat pics are great. Excellent cook. I love it. Thanks.
              Last edited by TBoneJack; July 14, 2019, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Love me a good steak cooked perfectly. Glad you’re happy with your technique, but beware complacency!!!

Comment

• gdsim1
                  gdsim1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh never that sir, never that! Complacency is how you miss out on great stuff, and honestly, I’m just not
                  wired that way... had a bad (sometimes nearly terminal lol) case of the "What if..."s since I was a kid, and I’ve never really gotten over it. 😃🙌

Boom! Nice work!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here