Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fillet.... Yea or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fillet.... Yea or Nay?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ECF74A96-59FC-4A86-AE14-8693765B0165.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	712531 Went to the butcher down the street because I was busy today and couldn’t make it to where I normally get my steaks. I’ve gotten Ribeyes from here before and they have been OK. Today I got one Ribeye for me and two 8oz. Fillets for my mother and my better half. When I opened the butcher paper with the Fillets in it this is what I pulled out. Not too happy. I’m sure it will taste fine but I would not consider these Fillets.

Would You?
    Yea
    30.00%
    Nay
    70.00%

You need another category o- hmmmm.

Comment

• Livermoron
      Livermoron commented
      Editing a comment
      Also a "meh" category. Looks pretty unwieldy unless you have a bunch of string...

I voted yes, but it actually looks more like a bit cut off the end of a beef tenderloin.

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes they are both tip ends. So yes they are technically tenderloin but I believe when most people ask for Fillets most people expect something that looks like a steak.

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      yup jgreen nailed it. I rarely buy tenderloin steaks, I usually get whole loin an break down myself and this is what the ends look like. Not pretty like a Mortons or Ruth chris tenderloin but just as good eating as mountainsmoker has said.

Yep those are the ends of the tenderloins. Tie them up and you will have some mighty fine eating. In France I believe they are called Coulotte's.

Comment

• wrgilb
      wrgilb commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure about France, but here a coulotte is cut from the top sirloin cap.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      wrgilb The top cap is correct...even in France.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Or Picanha

Yup. Tie them up and you'll be good to go.

Comment

I voted "yea" ... mainly because they are obviously boneless cuts from the scrap end of a tenderloin. The butcher should still be ashamed for wrapping and selling them without first showing you what you're getting.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree bad call, but I wouldn’t categorize it as scrap, those make very tasty little roasts. The chain is more scrap in nature but again makes good skewer meat.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman - I didn’t say they wouldn’t taste good. Since they are normally trimmed off (but never discarded) when cleaning up a tenderloin they are indeed "scrap" cuts that will be delicious in their own right.

Don’t think I’ll be heading back to this butcher. The one I usually go to is 35 minutes away. I’ll just need to make sure I leave myself enough time to get out to them.

Comment

Agreed those are the large roast ends of a tenderloin, very good tender meat. That said if I asked for fillet mignon you should have gotten a cut from the center section, so technically he did you a disservice but did give you tenderloin.

As far as what they call it in the EU, i believe it’s steak de beouf or filet de beouf. Henrik, is that correct?

Comment

We call it filét. Same for pork. And you are correct Troutman about the thick end and the filet Mignon. I’d be happy to eat those!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here