Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Injection

So I've always just used Better Than Bullion beef broth to inject my briskets and haven't been disappointed. I've seen some references to Kosmos Q injections and was wondering if anyone had compared them to straight up beef broth. If I order any of the Kosmos Q I'll definitely be ordering them from the US Amazon site. The only type Amazon Canada has in stock is the Moisture Magic and it is $109.48 CAD compared to $27.95 USD on the US site. I know our dollar is a little weak currently but wow!

We have tried Kosmos Q injection with brisket and pork butts , good flavour profile and good moisture retaining properties .
    I have used Better Than Bullion beef broth and added different ingredients to the broth for a good Flavour profile . Save your
    money and try different ingredients and experiment .
    If It Ain`t Broke ,Don`t Fix It
    Last edited by BRic; July 10, 2019, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      From one hoser to another, thanks, eh!

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare No problem !!!!!
      You could even try Johnny`s Au Ju Beef Dip for your injections .

i mix beef broth with the better than bullion garlic base for my brisket. I have tried other pre-made injections but nothing from Kosmo. Most times i make my own rubs and injections unless someone gifts one to me I just prefer to make it on my own and have fun experimenting.

Comment

I make my own beef broth and use it to inject my briskets. It is pretty stout stuff. Bones from my local butcher, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, parsnips. All browned, a touch of salt just for flavor. You do not want enough that you can not add more to any soup, stew or be used as an injection. So go very light.

PS: I never inject pork and only inject select briskets.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 11, 2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I will echo Johnny Trigg's words (loosely): 'I've never injected a piece of meat once'. And to add, I've never thought "Man I should've injected this". I personally think if you need to inject, you need to learn something else!! Buy good meat, learn to cook low & slow, learn to not trim too much fat cap on your brisket, you'll be fine w/o injecting. IMO.

Comment

I inject and make my own injection. Maid difference is the phosphates in commercial injections (I add them to my injection too). They will bind up water INSIDE the muscle fibers, instead of around them (which is what salt does).

Comment

I injected a few times, but it made the meat taste like phosphates and some other stuff that I can't even name. Sure it was moist, but I think that was from the quality of meat I bought and not from the injection. I have tried Kosmos, Meat Church and Butcher BBQ injection and they all made them meat taste funny to me. As Huskee said, buying higher quality meat is the best way to go. IMHO.

Not to mention the fact that is made a huge mess.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              What does phosphate taste like?

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              To me, salty nastiness. Troutman

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              The minute I see phosphate and MSG, complete turn off.
              I agree they do have they're uses but to me the minuses outweigh the pluses.
              My .02 cents FWIW.

If you read the ingredients on Kosmos Q or Butchers (the top two injections used on the circuit from what I gather), you get broth, phosphate, MSG and a boat load of salt in various forms. All good flavor enhancers and water retainers. I'm sometimes too lazy to inject but when I do I always remind those around me to....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here