Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can 'o' Worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can 'o' Worms

Let's get this debate going again..... I've done 10 briskets in my Traeger all were phenomenal except for one. It was labeled choice at a local butcher, in my eyes it was barely select, anyway..... The other 9 I did the same as the last, rub with salt wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours. I also score the fat cap in a checkerboard pattern so the salt works it's way in. I dust it with seasoning about an hour or so before I put it on and let it "breathe". I start at 180 and bump it up to 225 when I get close to 160. Here's the kicker, I cook fat cap up, barely have a stall, the most was a half an hour and a couple I didn't even rest for 1 second.....I couldn't cut fast enough for my guests. Everyone raves about my brisket, so what gives? I technically did most everything you're supposed to do, WRONG! Here is my dilemma, I plan on doing an SRF Wagyu brisket on the 4th and I was going to do it the way the pros do, cap down, wrap at 160 and rest in a cooler after. Do I chance it or just stick to my method as it is an expensive cut. Did I just get lucky on the others? I'm quite sure the pros don't tell everything, I wouldn't expect them to, I don't give all my little secrets away..........fire away peeps......

How long does your method take? I personally would not try a new method with an SRF wagyu brisket. I would definitely not wrap at 160. If you do wrap, wait until the bark is set where you want it , around 180 for me, and I’d recommend butcher paper instead of foil.

Comment

• parkerj2
      parkerj2 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 to this. If you stick to wrapping it just because the thermometer says something, it could be a massive waste of money.

• Lakesnake
      Lakesnake commented
      Editing a comment
      I did a 16lber in 9 hours. Like I said, I have never wrapped a brisket.
      Last edited by Lakesnake; June 21, 2019, 11:49 AM.

You want a debate? You need to pre-burn your pellets....

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha. Oh man. Clever!

Do it your way. There is a whole new school on hot and fast.

Comment

What’s a pro and why is their brisket better than yours.

I dont go in for all of that. Full disclosure... likely most people in here cook better brisket than me.

my question is did you like the ten briskets you mentioned. In my experience people are just happy to be eating good food and will tell you anything, especially when it’s free or there are future prospects.

if you liked your briskets then go for it the way you have done them. If not,make a change where you think it’s needed.

I dont think theres just just one way to cook, Pro or not.

do it how how you like it, people will eat.

my thoughts anyhow

Comment

• Lakesnake
        Lakesnake commented
        Editing a comment
        All but the one were exceptional in my eyes and taste buds.

I’d run that SRF brisket at 275* and let her roll. Good possibility you won’t even hit a stall.

Comment

• parkerj2
        parkerj2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also +1 to this. I run mine at 275 (not doing wagyu though) and I don't even really know if it stalls. I wrap in butcher paper when it gets the bark I want and judge doneness with my trust hands.

I see no reason to change what is working for you. Even the so-called "pros" don't all do it the same way.

Also, I'm relieved that this thread isn't about how to cook a can of worms.
      Last edited by Steve R.; June 21, 2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        In baseball the term is "can o corn" for an easy fly out. Never heard the worm term. Oh well guess it's like "piece of cake".

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman "Can of worms" is little bit like Pandora's box. Don't open it or you will end up with more problems than you started with.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        To put it another way, there is an old adage, if it ain’t broke why fix it.

Why mess with success?

Comment

The vast majority of the country has never had "great" brisket. Most of them are fine with "good". Looking at the local barbecue restaurants around here that people rave about backs that up. Most people will have less than great barbecue and think it is great just because they have never had great.

Don't take that the wrong way. I have never tasted your brisket so I can't say where it falls on the good/great scale. Just saying that most people are pretty easy to please when it comes to barbecue. I would suggest take what has worked for you and try 1 thing different each time. You normally cook at 225? Try one at 275 but do everything else the same. Is 275 better than 225? Great, cook the next at 275 and wrap it when it hits 180 after the bark is cooked. Don't like it? Try wrapping before the stall at 140 next time).

Congratulations!!! After a few hundred briskets (and when you are on your death bed) and testing dozens of different variables you will finally have a "perfect" brisket!

Comment

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          I watched in horror as a friend doused his brisket in Sweet Baby Ray's once. I made sure never to invite him over for brisket after that abuse I witnessed.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Better than ketchup on a hot dog

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          change one thing at a time is great advice.

Thanks for the response!!!! one more question......what do you guys think about beef broth injecting a brisket?????

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Can’t think of any reason to inject a wagyu. Should take care of itself internally just fine.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here