Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corned Beef in a Bag: Grill or smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corned Beef in a Bag: Grill or smoke?

I was gifted with a Cook's corned beef point. Can't complain. I have a reunion on Saturday. It's about 4#, so I was thinking about grilling it like a tri-tip. I'm also considering smoking it on a Weber Smokey Mountain tomorrow (Friday) - kind of like pastrami without the seasoning. Does anybody have any experience with these?

Not an expert but I would assume if grilling it you would want to soak it in water to desalinate just like doing pastrami since the normal prep method for corned beef like that is to boil which drops the salinity a bit. Would think it would be a bit too salty without a brine if doing a straight to grill cook, not positive though.

Comment

Along those lines, as well as comments about brisket being chewy when you grill it (who knew?! well, maybe everybody), we'll boil it like most corned beef, but only until it's about medium rare. I can do that tomorrow evening, then get some nice grill marks on it on Saturday morning.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ED929E03-4CC8-4F7F-9770-97B9B9FD78DC.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	698116 Look at the pastrami recipe on the free side. Click image for larger version

Name:	6C808F11-49C2-496F-A157-DCE249F6A6AB.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	698117

Comment

I smoked one and it came out great

Comment

Definitely desalinate unless you are boiling it.

It needs time under temp to get tender, so definitely smoke vs grill. Basically, treat it like the brisket it is.

Comment

Desalinate, rub with the pastrami seasoning on free site, smoke to 175° over oak, then steam to about 190.

Comment

Desalinate. If you don't you're just going to end up with extremely salty beef bacon; which, while good, is not really edible on its own. But, corned beef smoked with a light rub of something without salt or too much sugar is pretty good.

Comment

It needs to be desalinated, but you can smoke it just like a brisket. The pastrami rub is good, but it’d be good with even just black pepper. Don’t just grill it or lightly boil then grill. It needs to be boiled all the way or treated like brisket.

Comment

We wound up baking it - for too long, but still came out OK for sandwiches. Rinsed it well. Next time I'll plan a little farther out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here