Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Tri Tip on new Slow 'N Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Tri Tip on new Slow 'N Sear

I'm doing my first Slow 'N Sear cook tomorrow using a 4 lb trimmed (I've never seen an untrimmed on in my neck of the weeds) tri tip. Following the ABCBBQ video to the letter.

Anyone have any other suggestions to help me achieve optimal success?

I just cook indirect to temp then move to the hot side. I generally cook to 118-120 then sear shooting for a final temp of 135. Use a temp probe if you have one.

Comment

Don’t overlook it attempting to achieve the great sear. The sear is great and great flavor but not at the expense of the meat.

is it prime? Choice? It it will have flavor and be tender if you cut against the grain in both directions.

the suckers like to rest up too.

dont get bogged down in the stress of it. Do what you know and it will be good.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        I've cooked a zillion tri tips. First time using the Slow 'N Sear.

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
      It it will have flavor and be tender if you cut against the grain in both directions.
      +1 on the slicing, it makes a huge difference... doing that makes the meat pull apart tender a la properly cooked brisket, only medium rare. There’s a graphic (in the recipe maybe) here on the site somewhere that shows how to do it correctly.

I like to do up a bunch of these, slice em thin, and set them out at family dinners for folks to make steak tacos. It’s one of those meals that sets you up with BBQ GOD status with friends and family lol.

Make sure to to check back in with a report of how it goes. I never get tired of hearing about BBQ brothers and sisters getting a win!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Plus one on the tacos!!!!

My recommendation is to just follow Dave's video. He pretty much covers all the bases. Plus since it's your first SnS cook, it's a wise move to follow what the vendor recommends. No one knows their product better than they do. That's the approach I've done with both the PBC and also the SnS. After a cook or two, you're ready to spread your wings and do your own thing, modifying what you've been taught to suit your particular situation and preferences. Just my two pennies' worth...

Kathryn

Comment

Dave knows his stuff, you won't go wrong at all using his instructions. I wrote some of his recipes, but not this one so you can trust this one

Comment

+1 to what everyone has said

Comment

Heading to the local tortillaria in the morning for fresh made corn tortillas. Chopping up half the tri tip for tacos.

Comment

Comes down to monitoring internal temp. I don't know if you need to do all that fancy spinning. Just sear 2 minutes and flip and then repeat until sear and temp is where you want it to be.

Comment

• RustyHaines
              RustyHaines commented
              Editing a comment
              To each his own of course and that is why we have this forum. I used to think spinning was not necessary but since I tried it I will never go back. I like the challenge of obtaining the perfect sear. I did a prime tri last week and it was a thing of beauty and was delicious.

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess I don't get why it makes a difference. You have an indirect zone and a hot zone. I thought it was preferable to have hot grates help with the searing. Isn't that why people buy Grill Grates? Not trying to be snarky just trying to understand the benefit.

Thanks for starting this thread, been wanting to cook a tri tip, after watching there clip, thing I'm going to do different is to have my thermopen handy for temp,.

Comment

We live in St. Cloud FL and have been getting tri tips from Wassi's meats in Melbourne, fantastic!

Comment

Wassi's is my go to for top quality beef. Grab a hangar steak or Petite Tender while they're still affordable.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Finding hangar and petite tender around here is like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

The tri tip (and tacos) came out nice. I used a couple of small chunks of pecan for flavoring. Hopefully hurricane season will allow me to refresh my supply of oak. The only thing that gave me pause was having to add the hot coals at the end for the sear portion. I definitely can see the advantage to having the Easy Spin grate for that operation. I don't want to futz around with moving the meat or removing the standard grate. Pre-sear photo @ 120°F. Click image for larger version  Name:	20190616_172015[1].jpg Views:	5 Size:	907.9 KB ID:	696481
                Last edited by Bkhuna; June 22, 2019, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can modify your existing grate by grinding down those tabs by your handles. I love the east spin grates because they're stainless, they're about the only guys that offer them from what I've found. But doing a quick mod on your existing grate will allow for a better 'spin' in the meantime.

• parkerj2
                  parkerj2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can also rest it for a bit before searing. Gives you a chance to get the heat up/add coals. The meat won't cool down really either.

Troutman - it's not the spinning thing, its having the extra large portion of the grate over the charcoal portion open. Allows for easier dumping of lit coals into the SNS.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OIC. Yea that's a nice feature as well. So go buy the grate, both my kettles have one

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here