Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I get Thermapen and temp probes through TSA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I get Thermapen and temp probes through TSA?

I am flying out to grill some fine tri-tips for my parents' anniversary and will need my thermometers. Has anybody taken Thermapens or meat temp probes on an airplane? Will TSA allow it in carry-on? Of course, every TSA station is different...they all say something different and say "it's TSA policy". I may just UPS my probes to be sure.

thanks

I'd put stuff like that in checked baggage. Or ship it separately. If TSA won't allow your equipment in your carry-on (and I agree the rules sometimes seem open to the individual security guard's interpretation), your day will go sour real quick.

Comment

I would call TSA and check. With the pointed probes on the thermometers they may well deny them. The rules are so fuzzy these days.

Comment

Depends if the tsa rep knows what they are and want them. "Sorry, these are prohibited, I'll dispose of them for you." I'd UPS them.

Comment

I recommend you check this link. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tcanibring/all

From that link, you also have the ability to snap a picture and send it to TSA via Facebook Messenger or Twitter and they will make a recommendation. Ultimately, the final decision does rest with the officer at the check point. No issue if they are in checked baggage.

Comment

I work at Miami international airport. Not for TSA, but I am familiar with their policies.

the items you mentioned aren’t on the "prohibited items" list. HOWEVER there is a line item that includes something along the lines of "anything that is reasonably determined to be a threat". A long pointy metal object is almost certainly going to count. So I would say yes, you will have issues with a thermapen in carry on bags. This assessment isn’t necessarily correct, but I would bet on it.

So plan to check the bag, or mail the stuff to yourself at the hotel front desk. Tell the hotel you age going to do this first so they will know what’s up when it arrives.

Comment

I don't know, however, I would guess that if you don't want to lose them you should put in checked bag or send them ahead. Good luck on the cook!

Comment

TSA does allow knitting needles and crochet hooks in carry-on luggage, although the needles/hooks need to be in a sheath or the points covered with a protector. But ice picks, darts, as well as scissors with blades over 4" long are prohibited.

The TSA website also says, "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint...."

I'd say thermocouple probes. especially the longer ones, fall in a rather nebulous area between knitting needles and darts or ice picks. It might be best to err on the side of caution.

More: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../sharp-objects

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here