Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket cook started an hour ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket cook started an hour ago

We'll see how it goes. Have the CyberQ set on the WSM to 245 degrees. Salt and pepper rub. A couple chunks of hickory and oak with Fogo charcoal. Was able to get everything started before the 3-year-old woke up. As always, thanks for all the help. Because of y'all, I'm getting better and better at BBQ with each cook. Unfortunately, my pictures of said BBQ will always look horrible. Have a great Sunday.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cook.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	692210Click image for larger version

Name:	coal.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	692211Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	692212

Looks good so far! Are you using water? Or running it hotter and faster?

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yes, using the water pan. Gonna keep it running at around 345. Haven't tried a hot and fast brisket (haven't tried many briskets actually). I hear good things about that method.

• Rfhd69
      Rfhd69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! I always run water but have heard success stories on both sides. I run 250-275. That thing is gonna turn out awesome. Be sure to let it rest!

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do! At hour 8, the temp creeped up to 260. Added more water to the pan and spritzed the coals. Came back down to 345 and leveled off.

Pics look good to me as does that brisket.
    Good luck with your smoke.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good. Do you have a water pan in there to create some moisture. Moisture will help the smoke stick to the meat.

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Using the water pan. Half gallon maybe?

You are off to a good start.

Comment

So, it turned out pretty good. The flat was a little dry but tasty. The point was fantastic. As for the flat, I started probing at 180 before I wrapped it, and checked it about every 10 degrees. Funny thing was, it never got probe tender. When it got to 210, I pulled it because I didn't want the point to dry out. This was a SRF waygu. Any reason why the flat wouldn't get probe tender?

Also, I think I'm going to start a new thread where people post their ugliest cutting boards. Because I think I'd win. Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	692985Click image for larger version

Name:	flat 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	692986Click image for larger version

Name:	flat 2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	692987Click image for larger version

Name:	point.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	692988

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks like a fine cook.
        Excellent job done.

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

You get bragging rights
      remember every piece of meat is different
      Not all the same and ur lookin for a 95% consistency in the best cut of the smoke
      Fat is ur friend unless ur going to the Dr.

Comment

Smoking77 I have looked at all of your pictures to see if I can come up with a reason that beautiful piece of Waygu brisket might have been a little dry fo you. The only thing I can see is that there is not a fat cap on top of it. There should be about a 1/4" fat cap on top of a brisket when you start your smoke. While most of it will melt and run down the sides it keeps the underneath moist. I can tell it is a great piece of brisket as it has the fat line running through the middle.

That was an expensive piece of meat to come out dry for you. I would also recommend never taking a brisket past 203 degrees as it will go up another 10 - 15 degrees as you leave it setting on a platter covered waiting to serve your guests.

Good luck with your next one. Here is Meatheads recipe and as you see he leaves a 1/4" of fat. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...et-texas-style
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 10, 2019, 11:21 PM.

Comment

mountainsmoker Yeah, the fat cap on most the flat was probably around 1/8" out of the bag. Didn't really do any trimming on that. Made a beans recipe from Aaron Franklin's book, so I took a few slices from the dry end and added them to the pot.

Looking forward to cooking another one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here