Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First ever packer brisket - maybe say a prayer for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ever packer brisket - maybe say a prayer for me?

UPDATE

Thanks for all the good vibes everyone!

All the briskets I have done before were pieces (5lbs or so). As such, the butcher had trimmed it. This was the first time I had ever done it myself.

When I took that Pitmaster Class a few weeks ago, I saw it done live. And, of course, I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos. When I peeled off the CryoPak, I didn't recognize ANYTHING.

After I calmed down, I started the way everyone seems to start: trimming the fat cap.

Once I got going on that, things started to make sense, and I was recognizing landmarks. As I said, I had to separate the point and flat because it wouldn't fit in the MES otherwise.

I'm sure I overtrimmed in places, and maybe wasted some meat that an expert would have kept, but overall, I think it looked pretty good. This brisket had a HUGE flat, so there will be lots of slices.

Its 9:30am (I woke up at 3:30 and 6:00 and checked the temps on the Maverick). After the 6:00am one, I couldn't sleep anymore, too nervous.

It's in the stall now, but I know to just wait, it will come out of it.

It would appear that you can't attach a picture when you edit a post, so I make another post at the bottom with a couple of 'before' pictures.

I'll update again tonight after supper.

For the first time, I spent $80 on a Certified Angus packer brisket.

Its going in tonight at 11PM for supper tomorrow night.

A little prayer might be in order. I know I'll be praying!

I'm going to use everything I learned on my BBQ course a few weeks ago to (hopefully) not wreck this beautiful piece of meat.

I'm going to have to separate the point and flat because this thing is too huge (16lbs) to fit in the MES in one piece.

I'll post some pictures and the results (good or bad) here.

Last edited by andy.wpg; June 1, 2019, 08:38 AM.

Ya got this!

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Like Ron said!

May the smoke be with you, brother! You got this. Don’t over think it. Mind your temps, and as the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy says, Don’t Panic!

Comment

• andy.wpg
      andy.wpg commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve got my towel ready! 😀

Not to jinx you, but with this bbq mecca and the youtubes, i think the days of everyone's first brisket being horrible may be behind us for anyone that invests a little time in learning the basics. The fact that you're posting here tells me you'll probably do just fine. Congrats and enjoy!!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Nicely put.

....well after all, what could go wrong....
    I still don't have the onions to smoke a full packer, I've done pieces with really good results.
    Best thing is if things go south, finish it in the oven. Just don't tell anyone.

Comment

• andy.wpg
      andy.wpg commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. I’ve done five pound pieces, never anything this big (or this expensive). First world problems....
      Last edited by andy.wpg; May 31, 2019, 09:06 AM.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      C'mon guys, jump in, the water's great!!

Next youll be posting why did I wait so long to do this.
    You going to do good.

Comment

You got this. Just use what you learned.

Comment

Let the smoke roll. You got this. And when everybody is telling you how good it is, better than any restaurant they have been to, you will wonder why it took you so long to take the plunge.

Comment

I think RickyBobby has it: don't overthink it (says the master of over-thinkin’)! Relax, have fun. It’ll be great!

Comment

You've got this! If it starts getting in your head like golf can, take a little Wellers and a few ice cubes. You'll be fine. When that probe goes through it like butter you're going to smile from ear to ear.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. When th probe goes into my head like butter, I'm good on bourbon, an can proceed with my brisket!

May your temps hold true and your smoke stay blue
            for perfectly barked, moist beef when through.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Great Blessin, Amigo!

You will be just fine. Take your time, dry brine for at least 24-hours and let it rip! Enjoy the process!

Comment

God Bless your cook! Amen. You 'll do just fine. Post results.

Comment

Sendin along my very best wishes fer great success!

Like others done said, previous, ya got this, so I'll save th prayers fer special occasions!

Holler, if ya run into any bumps, aight??

I gotta couple big'uns, (19, 23 lbs.) I need to thaw, make room in my freezer...I'm hopin they'll come out as good as yers is gonna!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Keep Calm Smoke On - Large - 1024x1448.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	688159

Comment

Give 'em hell, by friend!! As others have said u got this. If you are on this site your a reader and a researcher. Use what these masters are telling you and you will be fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here