Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suggest NOT getting USDA prime, cause it’s too fatty at the temp you’ll serve. Costco has USDA choice rib roasts. 1 bone= 2 people

Comment

Understanding your equipment is key. First time I have used my new Napoleon kettle, first time I have used a Slow and Sear, first time I have used a Fireboard, first time I have tried to cook a prime rib. Followed instructions from Slow and Sear on how to set up a 250 degree cook as you can see temp got all the way to 387 before I could get it under control. This kettle holds heat. Put the Slow and Sear in and it holds heat even better. Once it got to 300 I closed the vents both top and bottom and the heat just kept climbing. Had personal small emergency (family) had to take care of that by the time I got back to the cook were close to 400. Solved by removing some briquettes. Slow & Sear says light your starter cube add 12 briquettes on top. When they turn white add 1/2 a chimney sort of spread out so it burns across. When I lifted lid all of the briquettes were lit. Personally I think next I will add only 12 briquettes way over on the other side and when I see temp beginning to drop move two over. This kettle with the slow & sear holds heat. Running on the ashes + 4 more briquettes and this kettle holds well between 225 - 275. This was the biggest problem controlling the heat and to know that you have to do cooks and experiment.

How was it set up: I had grill probe Channel 1 right in the middle at the edge of the slow & sear. Behind that I had 1/4 sheet baking pan with wire rack that the Prime rib set on. Right behind that I had Channel 2 grill probe. So I know what the heat is in front and what it is behind. Channel 3 is meat probe in the center 1/4 inch from the edge of the meat, (measuring temp at the front of the prime rib). Channel 4 is meat probe located 1/4 from the back of the prime rib. [ I have family who like there roast mew well to well. My aunt is 85 raised on a ranch in NM everything has to be well done, my brother and I like ours med rare but slightly on the rare side. Med Rare - about 128-132f ] That is why I have probes front and rear not in the middle, trying to please everyone. There is a Channel 5 and that was placed in the center of the meat when the front and the back reach rare. The meat was pulled when channel 3 reached 144f (well done) and at that time channel was 122f. When you rest the meat will gain 5-7 degrees and that will place the well done at 150f and the center at 127 - 129 med rare minus. *** Notice when this cook starts out channel 2 the back side of the roast is cooking hotter than the front side by about 7 degrees, midway through the two sides are pretty much cooking the same and then in the end the front did end up being 5 degrees warmer when done. I thought I was going to keep turning the roast every 30 min for even cook but the Fireboard showed me that was not necessary.

I thought the taste was just ok. That has more to do with the quality of the Prime Rib. I have a 160 dollar prime, Prime Rib sitting in the freezer. That is why I was doing this cheaper cut $60.00 3.8 lbs first so I can see what I need to do. I did not use any wood chunks for smoke flavor I wanted to see what I got with just charcoal and there was a very light smoke taste to it. I dry brined the beef 2 days before. The day of the cook I took the roast out 2 hrs before placing on the grill. Coated the beef with olive oil then fresh black pepper & Herbes De Provence ( I use this on all my roast ). I think next time I will use only salt and pepper. Steak House Prime Rib is usually done in the oven, they have special ovens for it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Not sure where you are in PA but I get great steaks and roasts from my Giant Eagle grocery store here in central Ohio. They carry Certified Angus Beef (CAB) and in my opinion most times this ranks up there with prime meats and you cant beat the prices if its on sale.

The butcher at my store is always happy to get me what beef I need as long as I give him a couple of days notice.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          CAB is the top two tiers of choice, unless it is labeled CAB Prime

Thinking finding a prime chunk of prime rib important. Good luck and looking forward to the cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here