Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inject Brisket - Water Only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inject Brisket - Water Only?

Since beef broth is mt mostly water, anyone ever try just injecting with plain H20? Seems to me would help moisture without any added fake commercial beef flavor. Seems reasonable if all you are looking for is added moisture.

I injected a Prime flat with beef broth. All that added water and salt came out and made the gravy inedible. Never injected again since the meat was just as dry as flats I never injected. The meat is already 75% water. Rendered fat gives added moisture at the completion of cookiing.

Ask yourself, why is a medium-rare steak juicy and a brisket flat not?

Comment

What he said. I don't inject. If I did I would make my own concoction and I would use beef broth out of a can.

I'm all about experimenting. If you try water only, be sure to let us know how it goes.

Comment

No. That would be like boiling it from the inside out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
          No. That would be like boiling it from the inside out.
          I disagree, a lot of cooks inject. In fact Meadhead himself does. Malcom Reed does. Water or broth is going to do the same thing I would think. Aside from adding flavor with whatever you choose to add to water or broth. Besides water boils at 212 deg, pulling at 197-203 the water never gets to its boiling point.

My only thought to using water only is solely to help prevent the brisket from drying out.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I inject, but not water only. You want to leave flavor and texture behind when the water evaporates.

For those of us (like me) who only cook one or two briskets a season, injecting increases the size of the window for acceptable final product.

1) I’ve never injected anything into brisket.
          2) I only cook Prime brisket.

Comment

I do not inject, or haven't yet. I have only cooked Prime as well so at that price I am nervous to deviate because I know un-injected comes out pretty good. Maybe if I can find a sales on some choice I will give it a try and see.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Don’t change what’s working.

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 mostly. I'll experiment to get to a great result. But then again do I never try something new. but then again........oh man I just don't know

I inject. Mixture of beef broth Worcestershire, salt, sugar, msg, and phosphates. The salt helps retain moisture between the muscle fibers, and the phosphates actually helps retain moisture inside the fibers themself. Without either, I would suspect it would make little to no difference when you take one up to 190°+

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Bingo on the phosphates.

You could inject with phosphate diluted with water only. I've done that with Butcher's BBQ phosphate. Works fine, although I prefer mixing the phosphate with homemade beef (bone) broth which I always have on hand.

My opinion about injecting is to each her/his own. If the idea appeals, then do it, if not, don't. I prefer injecting because I feel that worst case, it does no harm, and best case, it's added insurance for a moister result.

Here's what Meathead says about injecting (in his brisket article)

2) Pump (Should I inject brisket?). I almost always inject briskets with beef broth. This meat takes so long to cook that the extra moisture helps keep it from dehydrating, and the salt helps the meat hold onto moisture and enhances flavor. Use broth only. No need to add spices, juices or other flavorings. All we want here is moisture. We don't want the fluid to mask the flavor of the meat. If you have a hypodermic syringe for injecting meat, now's the time to use it. Pump in about 1 ounce of beef broth per pound of raw meat by inserting the needle parallel to the grain in several locations about 1" apart and backing it out as you press the plunger. Do it in the sink, and be careful so you don't get squirted in the eye.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; May 26, 2019, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
              You could inject with phosphate diluted with water only. I've done that with Butcher's BBQ phosphate. Works fine, although I prefer mixing the phosphate with homemade beef (bone) broth which I always have on hand.

My opinion about injecting is to each her/his own. If the idea appeals, then do it, if not, don't. I prefer injecting because I feel that worst case, it does no harm, and best case, it's added insurance for a moister result.

Here's what Meathead says about injecting (in his brisket article)

2) Pump (Should I inject brisket?). I almost always inject briskets with beef broth. This meat takes so long to cook that the extra moisture helps keep it from dehydrating, and the salt helps the meat hold onto moisture and enhances flavor. Use broth only. No need to add spices, juices or other flavorings. All we want here is moisture. We don't want the fluid to mask the flavor of the meat. If you have a hypodermic syringe for injecting meat, now's the time to use it. Pump in about 1 ounce of beef broth per pound of raw meat by inserting the needle parallel to the grain in several locations about 1" apart and backing it out as you press the plunger. Do it in the sink, and be careful so you don't get squirted in the eye.

Kathryn
              Seems we agree to a point, it's my opinion or should I say preference that a good piece of beef needs no added flavor. Maybe add a little salt, as you know for store bought beef broth is horribly salty, mostly worthless for most applications. So adding a little salt may have some benefit. My only reason for the water only idea is a bit of insurance.
              Last edited by Missin44; May 26, 2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                We do agree, Missin44 . Phosphate dissolved in water would add no flavor. But homemade beef (bone) broth brings a lot of umami to the party, which is why I use it. Storebought beef broth is pretty terrible.

FWIW Cooks Illustrated only recommends Better Than Boullion Roasted Beef Base. Every other storebought beef broth they tested garnered a "recommended with reservations" or was not recommended.

Kathryn

There are better beef broths out there, look for low sodium types. Better yet ask your butcher for some bones and beef scraps and make your own. Same with chicken. It’s easy.

As to injecting or not, fat cap up or down, the debate will go on and on. Just try it both ways, experiment a little and decide for yourself. Opinions are like.....complete the sentence with your choice of body part.

Comment

Originally posted by Missin44 View Post
                Besides water boils at 212 deg, pulling at 197-203 the water never gets to its boiling point.
                ... at sea level. Where I live, it boils at 200F ... and further up in the mountains it's more like 197F so, depending on your altitude, boiling point can indeed become problematic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here