Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

steak grilled from frozen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steak grilled from frozen

recently I have come across several articles of the benefits of grilling frozen steak. Any comments?

I've done it plenty times, borne out of time constraints...it works fine.

I'd be interested in hearin any benefits that might be had from doin so.

BTW, Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to hearin more from ya!

Comment

It's become one of my go to methods. I vac seal and freeze dry-brined steaks and then I can just throw 'em on the grill. If I'm cooking on charcoal it's basically just a reverse sear. On my gas grill I sear while it's still frozen and then move it to indirect heat to finish. I takes about an hour and a half for a 1.75" ribeye starting at 275. Keep an eye on temp once it's thawed enough to get a probe in and there's barely any banding at all.

Comment

What about fish? I buy cod frozen and been thinking about trying that.

Comment

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't really see why It wouldn't work. The timing could be tricky depending on how thick, and even the fillets are. If there's thin parts they could overcook. Worth a potential sacrifice to the Fire God to find out.

I've done this on numerous occasions. I really like it if I'm using the 14.5 MSM as a "grill". Cooked on the top grate with bowl removed it's already picked up a ton of color on both sides before the reverse sear. The exterior of the meat has huge flavor and color.

Comment

Man, you guys are lucky, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I've never had any luck cooking from frozen so I thaw everything.

Comment

• hubmacfan
            hubmacfan commented
            Editing a comment
            America's Test Kitchen had a video on YouTube where they did it. I followed their instructions with a frozen strip steak. The texture wasn't as good as a never frozen steak, but it was the most evenly cooked steak I've ever made

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here