Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Godzilla vs. Megalon - Picanha vs. Tri-tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Godzilla vs. Megalon - Picanha vs. Tri-tip

So I think everyone is familiar with both cuts. The mighty tri-tip, so coveted on the West Coast and for good reason. It's a very tender, well marbled cut of steak. Grilled over a Santa Maria style pit it's as good as it gets. The tri-tip is found in the lower half of the sirloin, so it has a rich beefy flavor, more so in my opinion then cuts from the rib or the loin.

And then there's the Brazilian champion the picanha, or the rump cap or culotte. This cut is taken from the upper end of the sirloin and as its name implies it's at the upper back side of the cow so it's a rather non-working muscle. That said, it's also rich in beefy flavor and very tender. Cooked on open spits and sliced thin onto your plate makes it a spectacular piece of meat.

So, what cut of sirloin is the best and most coveted? Who is better, Godzilla or Megalon? Well let's put that to the test.....

Our Costco has recently carried a great selection of prime, well marbled tri-tips. Over the winter I picked up about 10 of them and have them in the freezer. My butcher, on the other hand, has a continual source for Certified Angus picanha. Both cuts are great and we actually prefer them to the more expensive rib eyes and for sure better than New York strips.

So for this test I thought I'd go ahead and sous vide them to temp then sear them over white hot charcoals. So here are the contestants after they had their overnight salt brining....

Click image for larger version

Name:	tri picahna 01.jpg
Views:	5441
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	681508

Name:	tri pichana 02.jpg
Views:	4940
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	681509

As far as appearance goes, visually the tri-tip seems to be the better cut. Definitely better marbling and a softer texture than the picanha. The only variable that may skew the result is that the picanha was almost 2.5" thick at the fat end, while the tri-tips were barely an inch thick. Be that as it may I bagged them up and left them in a 130* bath for 4 hours.

I took each one out individually, seasoned with pepper and garlic powder and seared them over a very hot SNS full of charcoal. All were allowed to rest for at least 20 minutes on the cutting board so they temp'd out at 133* for the picanha and 135* for the tri-tips (a little higher than I would have liked). So here are the carved results....

Name:	tri pichana 04.jpg
Views:	4069
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	681510

Name:	tri pichana 03.jpg
Views:	4278
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	681511

As I stated earlier, the thickness of the meat definitely came into play. The thinner tri-tip got slightly over cooked, at least for my taste, but came out great. I wish I could have gotten a little better sear but over all the meat was fork tender and had great flavor. For tenderness, texture and beefy flavor I give the tri-tip a solid A. I'd put it up against any rib eye and at half the price.

Now, for the picanha. As I look at that steak I'm nearly in tears after having eaten it last night. That is a close to steak perfection as I want my meat. Although I didn't cook it churrasco style, that's about as good as picanha gets in my opinion. Extremely tender, chuck full of beef flavor, juicy, it simply melted in my mouth. Whats also nice about picanha is the quarter inch layer of fat on the cap. Rich and unctuous it's a great complement to the beef. For tenderness, texture and beefy flavor I give this picanha an A++.

As a take away, I've become a big fan of both cuts. In fact I stopped buying the ridiculously priced rib eyes mainly for price reasons but also I really like the beefiness of these cuts over rib eyes. You get the same amount of tenderness regardless. I do tip my hat to the tri-tip, because it was thinner and not quite as rare as I would have liked it didn't win this time, but I will continue to cook them and relish their great qualities.

So sorry West Coast guys, the picanha (at least in this test) was clearly the winner !! Yes Godzilla prevails once again. Could there be another challenger? Who knows, maybe next time we'll have to find a nice prime rib eye to take him on !!!

Oh and for a little eye candy, we had poppers, hill country sausage and some great stuffed artichokes to cap off a perfect late spring meal in the backyard....

Name:	stuffed articokes.jpg
Views:	3960
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	681513

Name:	poppers 06.jpg
Views:	3983
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	681512

TROUTMAN NEEDS A NAP AFTER THAT MEAL....LATER !!!!

As a life-long California tri tip lover I would have mounted a serious rebuttal to your conclusion, but, alas, though a neophyte, I agree that the picanha is a superior cut.

Comment

Beautimous food, pics, an writeup, Brother!
      Hail, I need a nap, too, after jus lookin at em... I can only imagine how yer feelin!

Comment

Great post.

Comment

Great post! I'm gonna have to agree with you, that glorious fat cap on the picanha sure pushes it over the finish line a little sooner than the tri tip. I do enjoy both, a lot, but that rump cap is something else.

Comment

Thank you, great write up. Have got to try the picanha

Comment

I may need to make a trip over to the Beef Palace and see if they can order me up a picanha. Need to find the URMIS # for that cut.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                53 Loin 1300 Coulotte Beef, Top Sirloin Cap, Boneless BEEF LOIN TOP SIRLOIN CAP COULOTTE BONELESS

54 Loin 1420 Coulotte Roast Beef, Top Sirloin Cap, Boneless BEEF LOIN TOP SIRLOIN CAP ROAST BONELESS

55 Loin 1421 Coulotte Steak Beef, Top Sirloin Cap, Boneless BEEF LOIN TOP SIRLOIN CAP STEAK BONELESS

It's either UPC 1300 or maybe 1421. Both sound like picanha.

Good write up. I can't quite tell from your pictures but did you leave the fat cap on the picanha? If the fat cap gets left on do you bother putting rub on it since it won't get to the meat? Again, if the fat cap is left on do you sear it or does that cause flame ups? Thanks.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Rub may not make it to th meat, on some cuts, through th fatcap...
                But it surely makes its way through th mouth, then to my belly, so I always hit it with rub.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes there's a quarter inch fat cap on the bottom, it's almost a must imo. I do score it and dry brine and season. Yea it causes a flare up so you have to be vigilant as not to burn it. I usually only sear it for 30 seconds at a time using the cold grate method.

Thanks for the post. I need to find a whole picahna to cook up vs the steak cuts I’ve purchased.

This was good. I know you’ve talked about doing some steak-offs for a while. Thanks for taking the time to do this and post.

Comment

Man those both look tasty!!!!! I haven't tried either of those cuts but I certainly will soon!

Comment

Blasphemy!!

...I must test this...
                  ​​​​​​
                  ​​​
                  Last edited by Livermoron; May 19, 2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hahaha, 2 years ago I would have said the same, but one bite changed my mind...

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    At the end of the day there really is no single winner, they're both outstanding.

• barelfly
                    barelfly commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh there is definitely a winner in his! Troutman you be the winner eating that good grub!

GODZILLA and Picanha ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!

Great post! I too am a huge fan of these cuts. Like you, I love that rich beefy flavor that only comes from the Sirloin. When I make these, it is always with friends. We slice it up on the cutting board, throw some kosher salt on and we dig in. No plates, no utensils, we just use our fingers! YUM!

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Soooooo good! Troutman

It would be fitting. (Captain) Mike.

• Steve B
                    Steve B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s it. Next time you cook this I’m coming over for dinner.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It would be an honor. Steve B

おにデス
                  ゴジラ
                  牛肉
                  たくさん たべて くださいね。

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hah, easy for you to say!

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Took the characters right out of my mouth.

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Literal translation: Death Godzilla Beef Please eat a lot

1st: Amen on that nap!

2nd: Great post! I've had neither cut. Thought picanhas grew in trees and tri tip was some sort frog gig.

Livin and learnin

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @iowa girl Piraniha and it's bigger cousin Pacu are great eating. beutiful tasting white flesh even though they come from muddys rivers.

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    IowaGirl Meanin to say they ain't? Now I'm alla kinda discombobulated, an cornfused, plus, reckon I got out th wrong seasonins lol!

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I used to have a number of Pacu in a large aquarium years ago. Great conversation piece !!!

I have had the culotte in a restaurant, but have never purchased one for grilling. Not a cut I find in the local grocery store (or just dont know what to look for). What was the price/lb for both?

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Our butcher up here in Mt Shasta calls the picanha a top sirloin cap. If you order one be sure to specify that you want the fat cap left on as many will remove it.

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They may also refer to it as the culotte. Definitely want the fat cap, keep it about 1/4", it's the perfect compliment to the rich meat.

• TripleB
                    TripleB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, that’s a great price for Prime. That’s the general price we see for Choice. Thanks

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here