Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck roast

I did a chuck roast today. Kept the weber as close to 225° as possible. Followed the directions from here. At 160° I wrapped it in foil and took it to 205°. It was still kinda tuff. I mean it didn't fall apart, pull to easy. My question is, should I have held it there for awhile, and then pull it? Or is it just the Nature of that cut. Any info,or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Temp is just a guide. You want it to probe tender and then wrap in foil and hold for several hours if possible. Use a cooler lined with towels to help maintain temp.

Comment

Chuck roast seems to cook best under certain circumstances.

1. Higher than 225. Shoot for 250-295.

2. Don't wrap until after the stall - around 180 or so.

3. Faux cambro for 2-4 hours. Let it rest and continue to tenderize whilst maintaining temp.

When cooked properly it's brisket without the fuss.

Comment

I have like to bring to an internal temp of 160 and let it rest for 15 min and slice. Ultra tender and perfect with homemade horsey sauce . I tried doing the shredded roast as well and have failed several times. Probably not giving it enough time and not using a faux cambro.

Comment

Thank you for the input. I'm going to try again and use what I've learned here. It did come out very tasty. I'm new to this. Used a charcoal water smoker in the past with poultry mostly. I'm just very thankful that I have all summer to learn. Thankful to have discovered Amazing ribs!

Comment

I know temp is just a guide, but it’d be really unusual for a piece of meat to hit 205 and not be probe tender. Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? Especially cooking at 225, it should’ve taken a long time to get to 205. The lower the cooker temp, the lower the probe tender temp.

My recommendation would be cook at 250-275, pull at probe tender or maybe a little past that for pulled beef, and cambro for a couple hours.

Comment

Also look for a nice marbled chuckie. I see a lot of chuck roasts at my grocery store that look really lean. I look at them every time I’m there and grab one when I find a well marbled one.

Comment

You did everything right, but a chuck roast needs a quite a bit of time to get tender enough to pull. I aways wrap in foil after the bark gets where it needs to be. I shoot for 210 internal tpemp and keep it there for about an hour, followed by an hour or so of holding in a cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
                  You did everything right, but a chuck roast needs a quite a bit of time to get tender enough to pull. I aways wrap in foil after the bark gets where it needs to be. I shoot for 210 internal tpemp and keep it there for about an hour, followed by an hour or so of holding in a cooler.
                  Bingo. I go to at least 208 internal, then hold in a 200 oven for 1 hour, then hold like a brisket for 2 hours.

Remember, you pulling this stuff, you slice brisket.

Comment

Yes. Agreed. I take mine to 210. But I start to probe it at 205. I also get my chucks 3 in thick from a butcher. Sometimes it’s the probe that tells me when it’s done not the temp. FYI for me they take right around 8 hours. I also take the pit temp to 250

Comment

You have received some great cooking tips from folks who regularly cook chuck roasts. One other thought to consider. Chuck roasts are cut from the huge 25-35 beef shoulder, so depending on what part of the shoulder they are cut from will affect the tenderness of the roast. When picking one I would look for marbling and the thicker the better.

Comment

• Sam6687
                        Sam6687 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree on the marbling, i have had some good success lately with chuck roasts so i thought i could save a real lean looking roast that was marked down to $4.00 last weekend. Moral of the story is no amount of time, smoke and seasoning is going to save a bad cut of meat.

I tried some poor mans burnt ends from a chuck roast and I was not disappointed. I smoked chuck roast per Meathead's recipe, cubed it up and utilized Meatheads burnt ends recipe and was rewarded with nothing short of spectacular. Without all the fuss and time of brisket burnt ends.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here