Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket cooked in two halves??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket cooked in two halves??

Have any of you ever cut a brisket in half, and cooked each half on two different occasions? Think this would be an okay thing to try? I have a 15lb brisket that is too much really and was thinking of cutting it in half, cooking one half, freezing the other half and cooking it at a later date? Good idea? Bad?

Was also thinking of doing one hot and fast and the other low and slow.

Thoughts??

I separate the point from the flat which makes it possible to cook them separately. However, for my taste the. point is more flavorful than a flat. I usually wrap the flat since it tends to dry out.

Comment

Are you talking about cutting it down the middle longitudinally? I have to say that would be a first but it really doesn't matter how you cut it, it will cook !!!

Comment

This is totally fine. 3 summers ago I had to separate the point from the flat because we were "up North" and I brought my 14.5 WSM with me and a 17 pound packer was too big for 1 grate. Now granted, I cooked the whole thing using both grates, but I could have just as easily frozen the point or the flat for a later cook.

Comment

Have cut in fourths and in half. Sous vide container, Grilla capacity issues. Also, desire to do different things, like pastrami the flat and smoke the point. No worries. It freezes nicely in a good vac seal bag.

Comment

I cut mine in half all the time because I have a vertical offset stickburner and a whole packer doesn’t fit. I’ve never frozen half (my family and friends always make the whole thing disappear pretty quick), but it’s common practice.

Comment

Well, I don’t know, will the half that doesn’t get cooked feel slighted cuz it wasn’t invited to the party? Lots of things to consider here. Then which half gets the nod & which doesn’t? Will there be brisket envy. You have your work cut out for you?

Comment

I almost always separate the point from the flat these days. They cook at different speeds, and it gives you the flexibility you are looking for.

Comment

Well I think I decided to go ahead and cook it whole (next weekend). This is for a hot and fast "practice" run using the H&F technique along with my new DigiQ. My intent is to cook another one on the Fourth of July.

Comment

Problem solved, no family fight. 🕶

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here