Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Briskest in freezer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Briskest in freezer?

Hello all,
    a local store had some nice looking briskest.
    is it ok to keep a brisket in the freezer until I am ready to use it?
    should I just leave it in the cryovac?

Thank you

Chris

How long do you plan on waiting? Many here do what they call a wet age in the cryovac. Let it sit for various time frames. At least that’s what I believe they do. Troutman did a wet age then a dry age on a brisket. He can chime in.

Otherwise, freezing should be fine. Just give yourself ample time to let it thaw before you smoke.

Comment

They can sit in the fridge, in the cryovac, for at least a month after the pack date.

Comment

I freeze briskets and butts all the time, in the cryovac. Thaw a few days before cooking, in the fridge. Meat in a cryovac pack does very well in the freezer.

Comment

Agreed.
          Froze them for up to 6 weeks with no problems.
          Give it at least 2 days to thaw, Bob's yer uncle, brisket dinner.

Comment

According to my own experience and https://stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/16480 you are fine with 6-12 months in the freezer.

Comment

• shush
              shush commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank goodness someone else mentioned a time greater than 6 weeks. Mine was about 8 months old. Came out perfect! I am not in the habit of keeping things that long, but my Costco had USDA Prime full packer (19lb pre-trim) for $55. I could not pass it up.

Nothing wrong with putting them in the cooker with the center still partially frozen.

2 days ago I slapped a pork tenderloin into the offset that was completely frozen. It came out great.

Comment

• JPGators17
              JPGators17 commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool. I'm probably going to smoke my first frozen chuck roast this weekend.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              I always thaw, don't get the results I look for cooking from frozen, but if it works for you, hey, keep it up.

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              smokin fool I like it for things like boneless skinless chicken breasts, steaks, pork loin, etc. Meats that aren't cooked low/slow. The reason I like it this way is the meat gets more color on the surface before the sear. A couple of winters ago I had a couple of NT strips cut just like you would filet mignon. Cooked on the top rack of my 14.5 WSM with the bowl removed, they looked like they'd already been seared when it came time to actually sear them. Big exterior flavor on 'em.

Answer is yes.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              My sediments exactly.

Thank you all
            appreciate the advice / guidance

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here