Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Fire Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Fire Brisket

Ya'll know how much I love my Maria, anyone ever do a brisket over an open fire? I'm sure it's been done, but has anyone here ever done it?

Doing some CS pork ribs like this and it got me to thinking... Click image for larger version

Name:	20190509_182730.jpg
Views:	1908
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	676715

Comment

Are ya gonna soo v it first? I have never done one on an open grill, but I suspect it can be done that way. It might take twice as long though - since ya gotta cook both sides. You might want to have a large disposable aluminium pan available so you can cover it if the cook is going too slow.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm, I like the SV thought.

Yes, it will work. Bit with less smoke flavor, and you’re gonna have to flip/rotate it to cook it evenly.

I think you’re gonna have to take one for the team ;-)

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking the same thing.

Interesting dilemma. I was checking a couple of sources & was poking into an Argentine approach, which they cook on open grills most of the time. SV, well that’s a whole other deal, wish you the best.

Comment

I clicked on this topic so fast I think I got a finger blister. I was hoping you were reporting on Santa Maria-ing a brisket and I was all set for some good vicarious BBQing . No joy. I'll just have to wait for you to jump in the deep end and give us all the skinny then.

Kathryn

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry about your finger.

If you can use a rotisserie on the Santa Maria it would be easier to cook evenly but is going to take much longer than a cooking chamber

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Good idea.

Yep do it all the time , basically an Argentine style. Use a large oven tray to cover it and you can fling some wood chips on the coals to add flavor. (Coarsely chopped onions work too) Going to be doing 2 asados (bbq's) this weekend

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          But, but, but what about the SV. 😎

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a lid that came with the grill and was thinking that would capture some smoke. I like the wood chips method as I was wondering how to sustain a long smoke without creating too much heat.

Now taking it one step further, has anyone cooked one on a hibachi ??? Haaaa? Now there's a challenge worth taking on.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I love my SMG, but a brizzy would be a serious challenge. LOL.

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          How many hibachi's does it take to cook a full packer?

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Me thinks ya could only use 2 or 3 hot coals at a time, so the cook might take a wee bit longer...

I did see two cooked over direct heat. They were for a cowboy wedding reception. They were attached to a steel rod which was laid across two post with notches in the top, a primitive rotisserie. They would turn them half a turn once in a while. There was a fire burning to one side from which they would drag coals under the briskets. I wish I had been more observant, but there was free beer. I have to ambit they turned out a little tough, but again there was free beer.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Free beer assuages many unpleasantries.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          You had me a "free beer" the first time. I like free beer, for that matter I like free anything

The largest meat done on my open pit was two four pound tomahawks...that took about two hours to just less than medium rare. Always did brisket in the smoker. But, you've piqued my interest...low and smoky slow with some open flame licking...better than TV!...a long day of beer while watching it turn.
        Attached Files

Comment

I found an old (2011) discussion over on the BBQ Brethren site. It doesn't sound like anyone actually did it, but one guy suggested using a Weber kettle lid as a dome over the brisket. Might help ...

Comment

Use beef belly (vacio) (whole flank) instead of brisket. Much more tender and easier too cook. Work smarter, not harder!

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yeah, there would be nothing efficient about doing a brisket al fresco, but it might be fun. I think I'll try 1/2 a chunk of point and an equal sized chunk of flat while the remainder goes into the smoker. Worst case is that i wrap and finish the experiment in the oven.

Open Fire: That is how Salt Lick originally cooked brisket and other BBQ. The grate is maybe 24" above the coals. They are so big now that they use rotisserie pits (hidden in back) and bring the meat to the original open pit for serving.

World-renowned Texas Barbecue from the beautiful Hill Country. Visit the original pit at the restaurant in Driftwood, TX, or buy our barbecue online and ship to your door anywhere in the lower 48.

This is the Hill Country/West Texas way to BBQ as opposed to Central Texas where they use offset smokers. Salt Lick's rub is available at the grocery store and is pretty hot pepper-wise. I use it on pork butts as well as briskets.

I guess the main difference versus using the Santa Maria grill is that the Texas pits are walled in to reflect the heat back towards the center and up to the meat. You could keep the coals at low heat and keep the grate lower to make this work I think. My college buddy used to cook briskets in a small barrel grill about 4-5" above the coals and they turned out great, no dry charred bottom either - turn periodically. He was from Del Rio.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Saltlickpit.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.40 MB ID:	677982
            Last edited by 58limited; May 12, 2019, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I was thinking that this must have been the way it was done in old Texas. I planned on doing it today, but we have a weather change and it's a little too breezy to try an open fire cook. I'm makin a plan though, thanks for the great info!

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to be of assistance. Every August there is a big rodeo and stock show in Dalhart in the upper Panhandle. They cook a dump truck load of briskets by digging a trench, filling it with coals, wrapping the briskets in burlap and placing on the coals, then burying it with dirt for 24 hours, I've never been there but I've heard the brisket is awesome. They auction off any left over briskets. It is called "The Big Feed" and "the World's Largest Free BBQ:" https://youtu.be/bMivCAcJ_KU
              Last edited by 58limited; May 12, 2019, 02:05 PM.

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Good interview showing Salt Lick's methods: https://youtu.be/Gyw5cK3x0SM

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here