Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef ribs - an edible fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef ribs - an edible fail

Picked these up at Costco on Friday.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190503_162118.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	674468

Dry brined, two seasoned with BBBR and two seasoned with CCC. I figured maybe 6 hours.

Name:	IMG_20190504_130025.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	674469

Midway through the cook, they appear to have stalled. Ribs stalling? Weird. I hadn't set up my Fireboard because these are ribs.

Name:	IMG_20190504_174426.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	674470

7 pm, ready or not, it's dinner time.

Name:	IMG_20190504_191531.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	674471

Served with grilled romaine, see free side for recipe.

Name:	IMG_20190504_191751.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	674472

Inside near the bone based on color and texture it was probably close to 135 or 140, not the 200 I was shooting for. Luckily with it being prime, it was tender enough to eat. Also should have trimmed them better, there were some pieces of gristle that could have been removed

Next time, plan for 12 hours and hold them if they get done early.

Them puppies take a while. They take reall well to a braise and leave you with a Smokey liquid to work with. 135° works for me in a pinch.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      I am a big fan of braising, but the goal this time was an outdoor smoke.

What temp were you cooking at? I do the chuck plates all the time (same thing) at 275* and they take about 6 hours with a 1 hour rest. You must have been cooking at a low temp, up your heat next time.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      225. That also occurred to me, hotter fire.

Checking the price you pay in the US vs Argentina. Heres a vacío (flank steak/beef belly) I purchased today at Walmart. 1 usd = 47 Argentine peso. So I paid about usd $7 for 3.3 lbs . For beef ribs I pay about 1/4 of what you paid for those. Come on down.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Brazil and Argentina are blessed to be so close to their beef production.  I couldn't believe how affordable beef was at restaurants.

​​​​​​​Wish I could get my hands on a cupim.

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Prime is fairly expensive. I didn't necessarily consider it a great deal, just grabbed them on a whim.

Same price at my Costco in California. I figure about 10 hours on my KBQ set at about 235 average.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here