Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Arm Roast Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IowaGirl
    Club Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Northeast Iowa, USA

Arm Roast Pastrami

A few months ago, I won a meat bundle at a local raffle and the bundle included two beef arm roasts. I'd never heard of this cut before, so I did a little research and decided an arm roast is the tougher lower part of a chuck roast, kind of between the chuck and the brisket, if I have my beef anatomy straight.

I braised these roasts in the oven and was impressed with the lean, tender texture and bold, beefy flavor. Sometimes chuck roasts can be a little bland when braised, but not these arm roasts. I was so impressed with the flavor and texture that I recently bought another 3 pound arm roast to make pastrami.

I followed Meathead's recipes for corned beef (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ed-beef-recipe) and for pastrami (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...e-katzs-recipe).

I corned the meat last week in a simple brine of water, salt, and pink salt. I soaked the roast in one change of fresh water for about 18 hours, applied the pastrami rub, and then smoked it yesterday. My plan was to smoke at 250-275 F until the meat reached 150 F internal temperature, wrap the roast, and continue to cook in the smoker until the meat was tender.

A digression -- Meathead's pastrami rub (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...s-pastrami-rub) calls for coriander, both ground and whole seeds. I didn't have any coriander, but a quick google search came up with a substitute of equal parts cumin and oregano. I thought this substitute tastes fine, but then I'm not a pastrami expert, so consider the source. His rub recipe calls for quite a lot of ground black pepper, and I know that's normal for this type of recipe. I followed the recipe this time, but I will probably reduce the black pepper quite a bit to fit family preferences.

Anyways, I know y'all have talked about how important it is to get meat like this to "probe tender" and how long a stall can last and all that.

But I still wasn't entirely prepared for babysitting one measly little beef roast for a whole ENTIRE 11 hours ... only to find the internal temperature was STILL only 179 F ... and the meat was definitely NOT anywhere close to probe tender ... and I'd been fiddling with this ALL DAY ... and now it was near bedtime and I was getting CRANKY ... and I'd had ENOUGH of all this.

In a grumpy funk, I put the meat in the fridge and went to bed.

After sleeping on it and waking up in a more cheerful mood, I decided to try again. I set up a steamer basket, put the refrigerator-cold roast in to steam over simmering water, and in about 2 hours with very little fuss, the internal temperature was about 203 F and .... miracle of miracles ... I now know what "probe tender" means.

I served myself a piece of "humble pie" for lunch. Tonight, hubby and I enjoyed tender, flavorful pastrami for supper.

This was a lot of fiddling and hovering for a tiny amount of meat, but the pastrami is tender and tasty -- quite a delicacy. And I now understand why good pastrami is so expensive to buy at the deli.

I think once I get more confident about my skills, it will make a lot more sense to smoke more than just one 3-pound roast at a time. But for now, I'm still learning a lot as this experience shows, and I don't want to risk too much meat while I'm still learning. I'm glad I stuck with the project, and the pastrami turned out well in the end.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030717 800.JPG Views:	1 Size:	118.1 KB ID:	671933
  • Oakgrovebacon
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • South central Illinois

Persistence and patience paid off, that is some fine looking pastrami!

Comment

• SullysSassySauce
      Club Member
      • Mar 2019
      • Eau Claire Wisconsin

Excellent look pastrami. I might have to try using an arm roast my self. Glad all your time and effort paid off

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I got the idea from the Girls can Grill website where the author wrote about using chuck to make corned beef rather than brisket. If chuck works, why not arm roast? Arm roast tends to have a long narrow shape with the muscle fibers going the long direction -- nice for slicing. And it stays tender and moist after a long slow cook.
    • RonB
      Club Member
      • Apr 2016
      • Near Richmond VA
      • Weber Performer Deluxe
        SNS
        Pizza insert
        Rotisserie
        Smokenator 1000
        Cookshack Smokette Elite
        2 Thermapens
        Chefalarm
        Dot
        lots of probes.
        CyberQ

The next time I make pastrami, I will make a bunch because it's a lot of work no matter how much, (or little), you make.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        Club Member
        • May 2016
        • Huntington Beach, Ca. Surf City USA.
        • Equipment
          Primo Oval xl

Slow n Sear (two)
          Drip n Griddle
          22" Weber Kettle
          26" Weber Kettle one touch
          Blackstone 36” Pro Series
          Sous vide machine
          Kitchen Aid
          Meat grinder
          sausage stuffer
          5 Crock Pots
          Akootrimonts
          Two chimneys (was 3 but rivets finally popped, down to 1)
          cast iron pans,
          Dutch ovens
          Signals 4 probe, thermapens, chef alarms, Dots, thermapop and maverick T-732, RTC-600, pro needle and various pocket instareads.
          The help and preferences
          1 extra fridge and a deep chest freezer in the garage
          KBB
          FOGO
          A 9 year old princess foster child
          Patience and old patio furniture
          "Baby Girl" The cat

Erik S.

Oh my world, that looks Spectacular!! Great work! Also it rested up in the fridge.

Intentionally resting up is a tactic I use ALL THE TIME and I consider it part of the cooking process and account for that time.

Under refrigeration is a Gangster move. I use that tactic on waygu sliders, whole tenderloins and ribroasts and other things when appropriate.

Comment

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Might be a "gangster move" for you, but it was a "ta heck with this" move for me. But I'll keep it as a secret weapon to scare the next bitty beef roast that defies me into behaving itself.

edit -- It does let a person divide a long cook into two shorter ones, should things like sleep and family dare to interfere.
          Last edited by IowaGirl; April 30, 2019, 07:51 AM.

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          HH for me the less informed and ever eager to learn pse explain what happens or doesn't or you know what I mean while it's refrigerated between cooks.

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          holehogg -- Maybe HouseHomey can explain if there are changes in the meat itself when it's refrigerated. I can't help you there. For me, refrigerating the meat after the smoking step and before the steaming step was mainly a welcome breather in the middle of a long process.
      • Skip
        Founding Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Blue Earth, Minnesota
        • MAK Pellet Grill, Large BGE, Weber Kettle with SnS, Weber Gasser, Pit Barrel Cooker, Cast Iron Pans & Griddle, Grill Grates, Mostly Thermoworks Thermometers

Nice Pastrami IowaGirl . Until I was a Pit Member I never made pastrami. I will agree with you on cutting back on pepper. As much as my Wife and I like pepper we enjoy a little "milder"pastrami than the original. Good job!

Comment

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          I got the roast at Spring Training, Skip. The pastrami is a nice souvenir of the day ... and I won't have to dust it.
      • Uncle Bob
        Club Member
        • Feb 2019
        • Salado, Tx
        • Summerset TRL44 gas grill and side sear
          RecTec 590 Stampede
          Weber Performer
          Cajun Grill Preaux
          EcoQue Gen 3 wood fired oven
          Camp Chef Somerset IV 4 burner propane stove
          Camp Chef FTG600
          OT QOMOTOP 23-inch Gas Griddle
          Oklahoma Joe's Bronco
          Oklahoma Joe's Bronco Pro
          Oklahoma Joe's Judge
          Golden's Cast Iron Grill
          Ooni Koda 16

Good write up, and some humor at your expense. Another endorsement here of the smoke it to 150ish, holdover in the fridge for a day or so, then steam to probe tender (anywhere from 190-205 in my experience). For me it took "just okay" pastrami to "now that's pastrami".

Comment

• Thunder77
          Founding Member
          • Jul 2014
          • Halethorpe, MD
          • Weber 26.75" Kettle with SnS. Broil King Baron 5 burner. Akorn Kamado, and Akorn Jr kamado. Primo Oval Junior. Love grilling steaks, ribs, and chicken. Need to master smoked salmon Favorite cool weather beer: Sam Adams Octoberfest Favorite warm weather beer: Yuengling Traditional Lager All-time favorite drink: Single Malt Scotch

Beautiful pastrami! I know the frustration you were having. I now smoke until the stall, then sous vide the rest of the way. If you have a sous vide cooker, I would highly recommend adding that to your pastrami routine. I agree about the pepper. I think I cut mine back by half. I prefer the coriander myself. Keep on making that pastrami!

Comment

• SteveRopa
            SteveRopa commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you share a little about your sous vide technique? How high and for how many hours? I always get frustrated at the steaming phase, and was thinking i might sous vide this time.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            It should also be noted that the MH recipe calls for coarsely ground pepper. That makes a heck of a difference.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            I did use a coarse grind pepper, but maybe it was on the finer side of coarse.
        • BRic
          Club Member
          • Mar 2017
          • Winnipeg Mb. Canada
          • Napoleon bbq
            ​​​​​​Broil King Keg
            ​​​​Hunsaker Smoker
            Pit Barrel Cooker
            Maverick ET-733 Wireless Thermometer
            ThermoPop Temp
            2 - ThermoWorks DOTs Temps
            UUNI infrared Thermometer gun
            LEM 1182 Meat Grinder
            Cabela`s Sausage Stuffer
            Grill Grates

Red River Rumble BBQ and Grill
            Reserve Grand Champions Backyard
            2018 Morrris Manitoba

Looks good , enjoyed reading your write up .

Comment

• fzxdoc
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2014
            • My toys:
              Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC) aka Mr. Fancypants
              Pit Barrel Cooker (which rocks)
              Weber Summit S650 Gas Grill
              Weber Kettle Premium 22"
              Weber Jumbo Joe Premium 22" (a weird little 22" kettle mutant on 22"-long legs) (donated to local battered women's shelter.)
              Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-burner outdoor gas range

Adrenaline BBQ Company's SnS, DnG and Large Charcoal Basket for WSCGC
              Adrenaline BBQ Company's Elevated SS Rack for WSCGC
              Adrenaline BBQ Company's SS Rack for DnG
              Grill Grate for SnS
              Grill Grates: five 17.375 sections (retired to storage)
              Grill Grates: six 19.25 panels for exact fit for Summit S650 gasser
              2 Grill Grate Griddles
              Steelmade Griddle for Summit gas grill

Fireboard Extreme BBQ Thermometer Package
              Fireboard control unit in addition to that in the Extreme BBQ Package
              Additional Fireboard probes: Competition Probes 1" (3) and 4" (1), 3 additional Ambient Probes. 1 additional Food Probe
              2 Fireboard Driver Cables
              Pit Viper Fan (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
              Pit Viper Fan new design (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
              Thermoworks Thermapen MK5 (pink)
              Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 (pink too)
              Thermoworks Temp Test 2 Smart Thermometer
              Thermoworks Extra Big and Loud Timer
              Thermoworks Timestick Trio
              Maverick ET 73 a little workhorse with limited range
              Maverick ET 733
              Maverick (Ivation) ET 732

Grill Pinz
              Vortex (two of them)

Two Joule Sous Vide devices
              VacMaster Pro 350 Vacuum Sealer
              Instant Pot 6 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
              Instant Pot 10 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
              Charcoal Companion TurboQue
              A-Maze-N tube 12 inch tube smoker accessory for use with pellets

BBQ Dragon and Dragon Chimney

Shun Classic 8" Chef's Knife
              Shun Classic 6" Chef's Knife
              Shun Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife
              Shun Classic 3 1/2 inch Paring Knife

Thanks for the nice writeup of your thought process and pastrami adventure, IowaGirl . Sounds like it was a success and it sure looks great.

Pastrami is my all-time fav of Meathead's recipes. It comes out great every time. But as others have mentioned, smoke several of them at a time, since they lose about half their weight in the smoking process and because they're so good. A few weeks back, I smoked 7 of them! What we don't eat that night (we like pastrami reubens in the panini press), I like to slice after chilled overnight in the fridge. That way I get nice thin uniform slices and I freeze them in easily-consumed portions.

Congrats on a cook well done. You showed that a wise temporary toss-in of the towel can still lead to great pastrami.

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              “What we don’t eat.” I’m not sure what you mean? 😃
          • Troutman
            Club Member
            • Aug 2017
            • aka Troutman Taco - Hanging Free in Tejas

• OUTDOOR COOKERS

BBQ ACCESSORIES

WOOD & PELLET PREFERENCES

SOUS VIDE

INDOOR COOKWARE

Great looking pastrami on an interesting cut of meat. But I say pour on the pepper, I love it !!

Comment

• IowaGirl
              Club Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Northeast Iowa, USA

I agree with the idea of making a large-ish batch of pastrami at one time. It is almost the same amount of work to do Kathryn's seven versus my one. It would also be a lot more fuel efficient to smoke several at one time.

I'm glad I did just the one this first time, however. The rub definitely needs to be tweaked, and I'm obviously still learning the ropes of doing a long cook. If I had followed the method mentioned by Uncle Bob to pull the meat out of the smoker at 150 F to then steam to finish, the smoking would have been over at 5.5 hours according to my notes.

Things that went well were the curing/corning process and how much and how I desalinated the meat. It's pink all the way through and is just salty enough. I'm also quite happy with my choice of arm roast.
              Last edited by IowaGirl; April 30, 2019, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                Club Member
                • Feb 2019
                • Salado, Tx
                • Summerset TRL44 gas grill and side sear
                  RecTec 590 Stampede
                  Weber Performer
                  Cajun Grill Preaux
                  EcoQue Gen 3 wood fired oven
                  Camp Chef Somerset IV 4 burner propane stove
                  Camp Chef FTG600
                  OT QOMOTOP 23-inch Gas Griddle
                  Oklahoma Joe's Bronco
                  Oklahoma Joe's Bronco Pro
                  Oklahoma Joe's Judge
                  Golden's Cast Iron Grill
                  Ooni Koda 16

If you're feeling adventuresome on the seasoning I've found adding fresh ground juniper berries to MH's recipe brings the flavor closer to the old, traditional pastrami I'm accustomed to.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Club Member
                  • Jun 2016
                  • Beautiful Downtown Berwyn
                  • Grill: Grilla Original / Weber Genesis EP-330 / OK Joe Bronco Drum
                    Thermometers: Thermapen / iGrill 2 / Fireboard
                    For Smoke: Chunks / Pellet Tube / Mo Pouch
                    Sous Vide: Joule / Nomiku WiFi (RIP Nomiku)
                    Disqus: Le Chef - (something something something) - it changes

I kind of feel like anything less than 5 lbs raw, pre brine, isn't worth going through the trouble. But then again, I do an equilibrium brine, smoke, sous vide, and smoke again. So, can be a month long proposition. Yeah, 5 lbs raw trimmed or come up with something less time intensive.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I will admit that I slacked a bit.

Equilibrium brine means no need to desalinate, and that you can cure in bag for as long as you like... so, if you can't get to it for 21 days, no big deal.

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2013/...salt-cure.html

Sous viding for 40+ hours with smoking on both ends meant a week between smoke bouts... poor planning or only able to smoke properly on the weekends.

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Are we talking only salt, and no other curing agent?

• IowaGirl
                    IowaGirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You need to read the links in my first post. If you do, you'll learn we're not talking about just salt. You have to use a blend of salt and nitrate to cure meat.
                • holehogg
                  Club Member
                  • Nov 2017
                  • Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Superb looking pastrami. Job well done Mam.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                  Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                  See more
                  See less
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                  The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                  The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                  The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                  The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                  The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                  We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                  Stylish and Affordable
                  Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                  Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                  A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                  Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                  GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                  The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                  This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                  A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                  FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                  Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                  Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order