Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco prime brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco prime brisket

I’m curious if Costco carries the same brisket across the country. The ones I get up here are Excel brand, which is apparently owned by Cargill which is one of the largest beef producers in the country. What does your Costco carry?

I have one in the garage fridge. It’s so far right now.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      If there was a beer in the fridge it wouldn't be that far... ;-)

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the grin, ComfortablyNumb.

Kathryn

• Willard
      Willard commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. That was a good one ComfortablyNumb but true.

Mine says "Blue Ribbon Beef" on the bottom of the cryovac.

Comment

I’ve bought several dozen from them (their Prime packers are the *only* brisket I’ve ever cooked), but never paid attention to the brand. Guess I’m making a trip to Costco tomorrow to find out!

***glad it’s only 7 miles away (yes, I give thanks to the Good Lord above every day!)

Comment

Mine are usually IBP. Packed in Braski.

Comment

Ours are usually IBP as well. Look, Costco carries a lot of Prime meat nationwide. They source commodity beef which may or may not be your cup of tea. It's cattle that are raised on an industrial scale then bought and sold on an exchange like frozen concentrated orange juice or soybeans. It raises some questions as to the ethical ways of raising cattle and the net effect on the environment, all of which is controversial. Like most consumers, I try not to dwell on all that.

Having said that, enjoy your Prime beef, I know I do

Comment

I want to say the ones I've got at Costco here in Alabama are also Excel. As some of the meat I've seen at Sam's Club.

I will comment that my Sam's Club has recently started carrying a small section of Prime beef. It's one lonely end cap on an aisle in the meat department, and usually has 2-3 briskets, a few strip loins or ribeye loins, and a selection of pre-cut ribeyes and ny strips. A far cry from the Prime beef selection at Costco, but at least a start. They had a beautiful 23 pound brisket for $3.29 a pound last week, that must have been 3 inches thick in the thin end of the flat. If I thought I could sneak a $75 hunk of beef into the cart without my wife noticing, I would have snagged it.
            Last edited by jfmorris; April 26, 2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Anytime I see a flat that thick I stash it under all the yogurt and Coco Puffs in the cart, that is a rare find these days.

I was just curious, when I saw that my Costco carries beef from the Midwest, if they used the same supplier nation wide or if it varied by location. I’ve read some posts here from people who weren’t happy with Costco’s prime brisket, so I wondered if that may be due to differences in suppliers.

Comment

The closest Costco to me is 51 miles away.

This always makes me sad.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                51 miles??? I have to travel over 100 x that distance for me to get to the nearest Costco in Mexico .

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Take a cooler and make the trip! My closest Costco is 90 miles and that's what I've done. Thankfully my Sam's (35 min) now has them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	05EEAB7E-4A9B-44C9-AEE3-DF544D86EB95.jpeg
Views:	747
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	670454

I’m located in Martin County, FL. Our nearest Costco is in West Palm Beach, just under 35 miles south of us. We find at least 2 different prime Brisket products, maybe more but I can’t tell. The IBP is clearly labeled, the others.... not so much.

Here are a couple of photos. Maybe you can tell the difference. I try to select them based on grade and size, particularly ones sporting a nice point.

Cheers,
              Ricardo

Click image for larger version

Name:	7B2DD853-6C78-41EE-99A5-D614D7E89CC5.jpeg
Views:	716
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	670453

Comment

The Northeast is lacking! No Prime Brisket available - all you can get is Choice Flats here in New York City! Got to go through butchers and pre-order

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Try asking in the store. Also try emailing their customer service. I have done both, and I'm not saying I brought briskets to my local Sam's, but now they have them! Most likely just coincidence. But, it certainly can't hurt making known you want them!

The Costco here in Atlanta 15 miles from my work carries Excel brand. I work next to a Sams Club that just now started carrying Prime Brisket for the same price and its Excel too! Win Win!

Comment

I usually get either Excel or IBP here in CA

Comment

Our Costco carries Prime but have never purchased. I get IBP brisket and Star Ranch Angus brisket (both choice) at SmartFoods (formerly Cash& Carry).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here