Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Point me to what the science of what is happening...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point me to what the science of what is happening...

I am super new to the idea of taking on the longer cooks. I enjoy the hell out of it though. But, I can not get my mind around what is exactly happening, this is the 2nd time I have made pastrami, and it happened with a chuck as well. So, to me it is a beef thing, but, probably is not. Anyways. I get the IT up to about say 204, and probe it, most of it is butter, I am so happy, and then, put the lid back on, IT temp drops 7-8 degrees (I did not probe where my IT probe is sitting) and takes forever to come back up. On the Chuck, it did it almost everytime I probed it. on the Pastrami, I will recheck in about 15 minutes, and will keep pushing, not worried about time, just what is the science on why you get that big of a IT temp drop that late in a cook? I am cooking on a weber 22 Kettle, snake method, running 250-270 grate temp, on hour 11 right now and about to go recheck. I have enough coal in my snake to go 13, at 12, I am firing up more charcoal to get going, and will run a basket. But, the science would be cool. To me this all seems like you are controlling an atmosphere where the meat cooks itself (I think I read Meathead say that), so for me, if I know what is happening, then I know what I need to control at those times. Maybe I just need to control my patience of control, and just ride things out with my feet up (which is what I will do). LOL (probably more to that control issue thing then I care to admit).

I would be interested in the answer, too. I usually pull the meat when cooking low and slow when it reaches my target internal temp, but when I am roasting or grilling and frequently probe for target temp I notice temp drops.

Comment

I almost feel like this is an internal stall that happens when the collagen starts to melt, and that the temp then drops with that liquid release. This is my guess. that small little prick from a thermo pop is not enough to let that much heat out, a degree, two maybe. But, prepared to be told I am wrong on all of my thinking here. P.S. hour 12. 274 (fire is closer to probe right now, and IT is 196.6. quality pastrami bark.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        On low and slow when my thermometer that is permanently in the meat throughout the cook reaches 200, it is probe tender, and I never check it again.

When the center is above 200 the surface is likely at the boiling point, so the rapid phase change of the water takes energy away.

If you cool the surrounding air the boiling stops. Takes a while to get going again.

Thats my guess anyway.

Comment

Sounds like you have a great method, I've seen temp's drop, cannot ever get it back up, And I stop trying , But the end result is some great stuff. So once I reach desired temp. on the pre inserted prob. Now I'm done, lets eat!

Comment

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
          When the center is above 200 the surface is likely at the boiling point, so the rapid phase change of the water takes energy away.

If you cool the surrounding air the boiling stops. Takes a while to get going again.

Thats my guess anyway.
          Yeah, you just allowed that build up on the surface to evaporate since things probably got a little "saturated" with the lid on.

I like to cook a brisket with the kettle and sns fat-cap up, and when the fat cap is dark as all get out I flip it. I've had the IT drop about 20 degrees every time, and it's because I just flipped that wet surfaced flat over, which allowed a HUGE amount of evaporation to take place and cool things off, evaporation that couldn't really take place with the flat facing downward, just moderate dripping.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            When you flip that over and you temp drops.. how long to normalize to pre flip? Was "ALL" that moisture going to been cooked off on a brisket? Any chance some of that moisture may have been retained v intramuscular juice?

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey It takes a while. I plan to get a data logger and graph it. Moisture is coming out, regardless. I've eaten LOTS of dry pot roast. It's like the Meat is communicating with the Heat and saying, "hey man, if I give you all this moisture will you just leave me alone?" Heat, "I plead the fifth."

Well, this "one" cook, I believe it meant the meat was going to begin to dry out, I kept pushing it, and pushing it. Finally pulled it, as my temp was slowly creeping down, put it on my first ever quickly made steamer from odds and end pieces I had, and it brought it back up a bit, and no doubt the steam likely helped, it was still a cook that had not great finish in taste. The lessons I decided to take with this cook, were worth the time and thought I put into them. When that temp dropped, I should have pulled it, wrapped it and rested it It is what I did when I pulled my first one (if nothing else, if I have done two cooks different, I have learned nothing), which the first one was fantastic. But, this is one cook is not enough to make any real decisions on. Other then, I need to get a baking pan and steamer set up that all fits, and practice the timing of getting a steam pan up to heat so I am prepared if I so try that again. So, over all, this was a fantastic cook. Just not really edible results, I don't believe at this stage of my learning that a fantastic cook, and really super edible results are the same and necessarily what I am looking for, hopefully aware of what gets me there when I hit both, and continue to practice that. Not my first, and hopefully not my last screw up lesson! Thanks for the input everyone!
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; April 21, 2019, 07:49 AM.

Comment

When a brisket or a chuck gets well over 200* I’m not worried about fluctuations in temperature but probe tenderness. If it probes like jelly all over its time for the cambro. Cooking to me is as much about feel and experience with what your cooking more than the science of how it’s cooking.

Im an engineer and do love the science behind the cooking experience but to me it’s not the empirical data as much as the art behind cooking. Don’t get hung up on exact expected result, know and feel that the meat is done. I’ve come to that conclusion anyway and have been better off for it. Good luck with your next one!!!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              I appreciate the shared experience. I had the thought that it felt done, and I should pull it, just like I had done the first, but, decided to learn something, post cook, I realized I learned how to not make one, and to trust my instinct

Just a theory but I think beef is like a politician. You poke it a few times and all the hot air escapes.

Comment

Temp is just a guide for me. When big hunk of beef hits 190ish I look for probe tender.

Comment

My first couple of briskets, I was consumed with temps. Not so much anymore - when it gets to around 200, I start to probe. I have had a couple that never got above 195, but they probed tender and they came out great.

Comment

I have had this same experience with pork butts a couple of times. Both times it did it to me the temp dropped below 185 from 200 when i first started poking it. Now I just take it to 205 before I even try to probe and it's always been tender. Then I pull and wrap and into the cooler for a couple hours and have been happy with it every time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here