Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusting Packer Plan for a Flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting Packer Plan for a Flat

Last edited by Kevin_nj; February 24, 2020, 07:50 PM.

Flats don't dry out. They arrive lean as all-get-out and taking them 40+ degrees past well-done gives you what you got.

My flats take just about as long as my packers. I prefer to run the fat side up if there isn't too much heat coming from below.

I dry brine 2-3 days, good hold after the cook.

Comment

I would say there's a 10% variation (flats cook faster for me). If you normally don't inject, no need to do it now (unless you switched brisket supplier and is testing a new brand). I do like to wrap the flat though, after the stall, but that's just me.

Comment

Two great cooks giving you the low-down there!

If you haven't already, experiment with wrapping, you may find you like it.

Comment

Thanks.
          Since I have two nearly identical flats it would be a good time to experiment, and I had considered it. One wrap and inject the other neither or one inject no wrap the other no inject but wrap.... or some other variation.

I've got a MAK and plan to place fat side up on the upper shelf. Too much direct heat is not an issue.

Comment

I too plan on roughly the same time w/ falts as a full packer. Leave a good fat cap on, in fact be generous with it, you'll appreciate that extra deliciousness with a lean flat.

Comment

Last edited by Kevin_nj; February 24, 2020, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                They both look real good!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here