Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless shot ribs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless shot ribs question

Having trouble finding beef ribs but do have a line on boneless short ribs. Ive never cooked either. Are they much different in taste? Do you cook them the same? Id like to use the pbc, would you use the rack or hang them?

thx all

I have purchased boneless short ribs at Costco a couple of times and I was never pleased with the results so I stopped buying them. I tried to upload a picture but nothing happened.

Attached Files

Comment

My grocery store has thin sliced boneless short ribs. I’m pretty sure they’re different than actual short ribs, they look like they have different marbling when I compare them side by side to the flanken cut short ribs they sell. The thin sliced boneless or flanken style are both delicious when cooked hot and fast.

Comment

I do boneless short ribs a lot. But I do them in the Instant Pot, braised in red wine.

Honestly, as much as I love smoked meats, braised short ribs is one of the best things you can make. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can do them in a slow cooker or a Dutch oven.

I looked at a couple dozen different recipes, then used ideas from most of them, along with taking into account what I had in my pantry. I would recommend using this Anthony Bourdain recipe for beef bourguignon, substituting short ribs for shoulder or neck.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Just about any dish that's some kind of beef stew is improved with short ribs.

I had some that looked a lot like the raw pic below (pic I found online). I thought they looked like they would be very tender based on the marbled fat throughout. I believe I sous vide them for 2 or 3 hours at about 135 degrees, and was disappointed that they came out tough. So, I would guess they would be best cooked low and slow or sous vide maybe 5 hours or so. I know they can be delicious, because i've had them at our local "River's Edge" restaurant (see second pic) and would rate that 5 stars; it looks like they probably do a low and slow braise on them.
        Can't help you with the PBC because I don't have one, but i would think a low and slow cook and then maybe go to a braise or wrap to finish tenderizing.
        Let's see what the Pit experts have to say .

Click image for larger version  Name:	bless beef ribs.JPG Views:	1 Size:	52.3 KB ID:	665643

Click image for larger version  Name:	bless beef ribs rivers edge.JPG Views:	1 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	665644
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_182850.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	713201
        Last edited by treesmacker; July 13, 2019, 07:49 PM. Reason: 7/13/2019: Added third pic - going to try this batch SV for 72 hours per @Potkettleblack suggestion.

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Potkettleblack for clarifying! I'll have to give it another try with the long SV.
          Also, thanks to all of the Pit experts who explained what is going on here!

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack, I just picked up some more of these and will try your suggestion of 72 hours SV. See the edited post for pic of the new package. Would youj suggest seasoning before the bath, or after. Any salt and pepper before bath? Other seasoning?

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Light salt.

I think I read somewhere that boneless short ribs are often just parts of the chuck roast just sliced to look as such and sold for a higher price.

Comment

Buy a trimmed plate. Debone them yourself. So easy.

Comment

grantgallagher is correct, it is what's beneath the chuck eye roll (sometimes called the American roll). The American roll is sold as a separate roast, it's the final portion of the longissimus dorsi muscle, or the muscle that starts at the back of the animal, runs through the rib section (that's the ribeye) and terminates at the blade bone in the chuck section.

What's left on the bottom of the chuck is heavily marbled, flat muscle that's cut cross sectionally and sold as boneless short ribs. Visually they appear to be the same but that's where it ends. If you try to grill them you end up with a very tough cut of meat. Remember, everything in the chuck is the shoulder muscle. It's a working muscle that contains lots of connection tissue that needs breaking down. If you braise or slow smoke these mock short ribs they come out fine. Just don't treat them like you would a steak or something cooked fast and hot. You get rubber bands.

Comment

I cook these like a chuckie, or slice thin for bulgogi/kalbi.

Comment

Thank you folks. treesmacker , that photo is exactly what I was looking at. I'll keep shopping till I find some normal beef ribs, that is what I was looking to smoke next for some friends. Having said that, I have a couple of chuckies in the freezer and I will be trying out the Anthony Bourdain recipe in my Instapot Mosca.

Comment

A thoroughly superior cut for sous vide. 72 hours at 133, then sear, and maybe sauce with a purge/red wine/maple reduction... Amazing.

Comment

• Hugh
                  Hugh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Am putting this one on my bucket list Potkettleblack. Can I ask 2 questions?

1) When cooked at 133, what is the internal color of the meat. As you know, I've got a 'well done' audience so traditional Brisket/Chuck/Pulled Pork is going over well.. Do you think their reaction would be that its too rare, or does cooking it that long change the look?

2) can you point me to recipe for purge/red wine/maple reduction? I never thought of creating the sauce separately instead of instapot.

• parkerj2
                  parkerj2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hugh cooking that long won't change the look.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's pink at 133. It's not rare. I suppose a 155x12-24 will probably work for a more traditional braise texture. This is making a junky tough muscle into luscious steak. If that's not your crowd, just instapot.

There's no recipe for the purge, red wine sauce. It's a pan sauce, by feel. Purge process per the sticky in the sous vide section, then add to a pan, add some red wine, reduce, add some maple syrup, reduce a bit more, and done.

This is what you want. Slide along the bone with a knife and you will have big, meaty boneless short ribs.
                Attached Files

Comment

OK, now I've turned the meat in the first pic below into the second and third. I sous vide 72 hours at 133F. I know how to clarify the purge and plan to make a gravy. i want to serve this with mashed potatoes and some zucchini. I need some HELP with what to do next with the meat. I won't eat unrendered fat, so want to render it without overcooking the meat and defeating the purpose of the long bath. Anybody have suggestions? Potkettleblack are you there? Anybody else can help?

Name:	shr.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	717812

Name:	20190720_180015.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	717813

Name:	20190720_180007.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	717814

Comment

• treesmacker
                    treesmacker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So, I'm trying to get these done for dinner. I decided to put them on the smoker @ 275F and bring the internal temp up to 165F. Then, maybe I'll sear a bit if the fat is still not rendered. I put a little Hank's beef rub on them and will make a red wine demi glaze with the clarified purge and a bit of packaged powder glaze mix. Using mesquite pellets - maybe I'll get a hint of smoke on them.

OK, this is looking better - will be serving soon. Wonder, will it be good? It is kinda resting/braising in that cast iron pan now.

Name:	20190720_200531.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	717857Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_200819.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	717858Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_200904.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	717859Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_200922.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	717860Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_201210.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	717861

Comment

OMG was that delicious, fantastic, wonderful, superb. Melt in your mouth bunch of perfect bites. Just to recap... beef country style ribs (boneless short ribs), light salt, then sous vide 72 hours at 133F, ice bath and into the fridge on Wednesday evening. Saturday (today) separated the purge, clarified it by quick boil in microwave followed by strain through coffee filter. Next, lightly rub the meat with Hank's Beef and then into 275F smoker using mesquite pellets. Brought internal temp up to >165F, then quick raise of smoker temp to 450F for brief period just to brown it up a bit. Meantime, my wife grilled a few onions and mushrooms, added the clarified purge, a packet of Wagner's Demi-Glaze, and a touch of red wine. Added the smoked browned meat to the Demi-Glaze, covered with foil and set on low to just braze a bit while grilling the yellow squash. Plated, photographed, and yummmmm. Thank you Potkettleblack for your ideas for cooking this... great help! Also, to all of the Pit for the other tips I picked up to make this so delicious.
                    https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Sauce-.../dp/B000HQPIEA

Name:	image_95028.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	717912

Name:	20190720_205459.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	717915Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_205514.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	717916Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_205624.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	717917Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_205821.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	717918

Last bite

Name:	20190720_210608.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	717919
                    Last edited by treesmacker; July 20, 2019, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here