Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parceling out a large brisket ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parceling out a large brisket ??

I have a large 14.5 lb prime brisket that I want to cook. Planning on smoking most of it on my WSM but want to try Thermoworks Brisket Confit with a 3 lb chunk.

Can I cut off a 3 lb hunk of the flat prior to any other prep without having any dire repercussions ?? I guess my fear is if I cut off a big hunk will the remainder dry out horribly in the smoking process because all the juicy stuff is leaking out the wound ?? Apologies if this is a dumb question....

I do that a lot. If I'm not feeding a crowd, or if there's no crowd to feed but I still want brisket, I'll separate the point for burnt ends then chunk up the flat into whatever sized pieces make sense, usually in half. Vacseal and freeze what you don't use. Easy-peasy.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; April 7, 2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

First of all, not a dumb question.
      Second, ya'll be jus fine; ain't no difference in what's gonna leak out, vs th way ya bought it.
      Third, hope ya share some pics of that there confit!

Smoke On, Brother!

Comment

If the juice would all leak out of any cut, every steak would be dry as F.

Yer fine sectioning the brisket.
        This confit would make good use of the trimmed fat from the brisket.

It would also work very nicely in sous vide.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here