Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

beef cheeks on pbc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beef cheeks on pbc

Smoked 6 beef cheeks for the first time today, on the PBC. They were not all the same size. One was sliced in half, half the thickness, making me wonder how to deal with that. Then, trimming was a challenge. My knife skills were challenged and I got better at that. Lots of fat and silver skin. Even with a sharp boning knife it took time, I would say take your time, have patience. Got past that.

These were supposed to be taken to 210 according to one site I saw. When I saw that the thin pieces were at 195 I tested them by poking and they seemed really tender, so pulled those off and tried them. They were tough, put them back on. They looked burnt. They all looked pathetic. I took them all up to 210, thinking I had a bust and might as well ride it out.

So, they turned out really tender and moist somehow. Lots of collagen I assume. Even the thin pieces, they all need to get to 210. But I could not tell that there was any rub on them, and could not tell they were smoked. I assume that is because by the time they were done that the outside was charred. So flavor was lost. I am going to use the meat for tacos, barbacoa. So I don't count this as a loss, it was a great learning experience. The meat turned out as promised, even though I lost faith midway.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190405_192257.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	660610

Last edited by Mark V; April 5, 2019, 07:39 PM.

I've yet to get cheeky.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I get it !!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      You're cheeky enough as it is, Jerod Broussard .

K.

Is it just me...or does that pic totally look like old japanese godzilla?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw the eyes glazed over due to too much Nihonshu.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C87547A1-9692-45BD-B672-8E809F1CC655.jpeg
Views:	359
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	660638

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha Grand!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha ha! Brilliant!

Probably was being passed off as Cow cheeks but really was Godzilla meat.

Comment

Sounds like you're on the right track with that cook, Mark V . Perhaps wrapping as soon as they have the bark you like (maybe around 180° or so) will save some of the rub flavor for you as well.

Kathryn

Comment

Yes, I'm with fzxdoc on this one. Treat 'em like brisket, wrap when bark is good. Beef cheeks are amazing!

Comment

Mark V kidding and joking aside, beef cheeks are so delicious. One of those things i love but have never cooked myself. I really look forward to round 2 cause it seems beside a few minor gripes you hit this one

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here