Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful high-elevation brisket flat cook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful high-elevation brisket flat cook!

Thanks to a ton of support from the Amazingribs community, I crushed out the most successful brisket flat to date. Best part is, I am graduating up to a new Rec Tec Bull, which arrives tomorrow so I anticipate things only improving compared to my dinky little original Traeger Tailgaiter.

For this cook:
    • 5 lb "Choice + to Prime" flat
    • Initially layered with Morten's kosher and coarse ground pepper (no dry brine this time)
    • Second layer with my favorite rub - Schultz's Rub (Costco) with Cayenne and Chili pepper added
    • Injection with a beef stock, beef bouillon and water mix
    • Ran with a water pan at the end opposite the heat source
    • Went 4 hours at 250-260, no spritz
    • Wrapped in peach butcher paper @ 165 internal and put in the oven at 270
    • Internal temps reached 190 after one hour, so I unwrapped and continued in the oven with a lowered temp of 250
      • NOTE: Interestingly, temps dropped down to 183 internal and stayed there for about an hour as soon as I unwrapped the meat.
    • After 3.5 hours total oven time (2.5 hours unwrapped) I finally eclipsed 203*
    • Probed and pulled with a total cook time of 7.5 hours
    • Rested for 2 hours in the yeti with towels
    The texture and tenderness were superb. This had more moisture than I've ever had cooking at 6,000 ft. So I doused with some remaining beef broth/stock, lightly dusted with Malcolm Reed's "The Rub" and served. BOOM, a successful session - my wife's favorite brisket ever!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190330_085136.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	658763

Name:	20190330_182956.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	658765

Name:	20190330_183732.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	658764

Looks great! Lower temp after unwrapping is like us sweating on a hot day. Evaporation = cooling. Congrats!

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Crap yeah. Makes perfect sense

Good lookin' cook.

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate it RonB!

Nice job. I knew somebody would successfully figure out the brisket at altitude conundrum. Curiously, why did you switch to the oven??

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Cold day, wanted to save some pellets and control temp fluctuations!

• NapMaster
      NapMaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that SpeedyB I forgot it's still damn cold at your location. At 42', I typically don't have to even factor that in. Again, nice job. 👍

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Much appreciated. I also have the little bitty Traeger with the vent slits on the back (no smoke stack) and thin gauge metal so it's all compounded. It was a good last cook on the little guy!

Great job!

Comment

That is a gorgeous cook! Congrats.

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a bunch JGo37 !

Nice cook!

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx klflowers ! Feels good when ya get one right

Ding, ding, ding !!! We have a winner !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here