Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Katz's Pastrami both ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katz's Pastrami both ways

Every now and then I get a 30% off butchery voucher excepting poultry.
    Valid for 3 days and is redeemable at any of their stores. Last Sunday was last chance day so I did what I had to and went to a store that is my preferred butchery.
    Amongst what I picked up were 2 pork bellies weighing 18# and 2 corned beef (round and or silverside).

This afternoon I fired up the kettle with charcoal and prepared the beef as per MH Katz’s Pastrami. I have made pastrami in the past using only ground pepper but have wanted to try this recipes rub.
    Glad I did.

I had 2 on the grate, so the obvious was to do one steamed and the other Nakid.
    I ran my kettle between 300 and 320F a lot higher than what the recipe calls for, but have been doing so with most of my cooks and they’re turning out good.
    Meat went on at 16:15 and the flatter of the 2 hit stall after 2.5 hours and into the steamer it went until 203F.
    Dished steamed Pastrami with mashed potatoes and chunky homemade onion gravy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190330_161150.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	657627

Name:	20190330_184011.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	657628

Name:	20190330_194502.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	657629

It is now past 22:00 and the Nakid is at 178F. I did not refuel the kettle and is currently at 250F. I’m hoping the coals will keep for the duration of the cook.

Name:	20190330_214359.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	657630

That is one fine rub and had a nice bite (I used Hot English Mustard Powder)
    The steamed was tender and tasty. Waiting for the Nakid but am so stuffed at the mo, I might not appreciate even a small taste.

Looking forward to the final report.

Comment

I need to make this again! So good!

Comment

Nice side by side test.

Comment

I've got this in my queue for the next couple weeks, and I hope you let us know which you prefer, or if it's a 'IT'S MEAT, AINT IT!' hopeless tie.

LoL - great pics - what steamer is that?

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            When I finally pulled the Nakid it had a really good bark and the slice I snacked on was good. Can't say for sure but I think they had slightly different flavour profiles.

Those look great! Just did my first try at this, came out real good.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            You steam or straight through?

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Straight through. Still nice and moist.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here