Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corning Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corning Brisket Question

I just trimmed up a 16 pound prime brisket and the net weight is 12 lb. According to Meathead's recipe for corning 4 lbs of brisket @ 150 PPM, I should be using 3 gallons of distilled water, 24 oz of Morton's Kosher salt (8 oz x 3) and using Dr Blonder's Wet Curing Calculator, 2.5 Tbsp of Prague Powder #1. I'll be dividing the brisket into 3 or 4 pieces and corning them in ziplock bags. Do I need to calculate the amount of Prague Powder #1 using the weight of meat in each individual bag or just what I calculate for the 12 lbs in total?
    Last edited by Steppy; March 28, 2019, 12:39 PM.

Myself, I cut my pieces and calculate each piece on its own.

Comment

I just ran the calculator and according to your stats I came up with 2.9 tablespoons or 47.2 grams of Cure #1. Now the other item you need to be aware of is the shape of your meat. Large pieces of irregular shape don't take on the curing salt like a nice uniform tube would. I usually, as a result, cure my large pieces of brisket for about 6 days to make sure I get all the penetration I can get. But it's not a predictable thing. All in all I think you're on the right track, just adjust your Cure #1 up slightly.

Here's the Article on curing once again for reference. Sounds like you've read it....

Comment

• Steppy
        Steppy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I ran 150 ppm, 12 lb meat, 3 gal water and got 40.5 g Kosher salt & 2.5 tbsp PP#1. Weird. I plan to cure all the meat the same length of time as the thickest. Extra cure won't hurt as I'll be desalinating them prior to smoking

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I ran it up a little higher that's why, around 175 ppm. You can go as high as 200 ppm since some of it turns into NO and dissipates anyway. My point is the size of the meat may require a longer cure time for full penetration. Best to cut it into pieces like you plan on doing.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here