Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Corning and Brining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Corning and Brining

Was thinking about trying my hand at making some pastrami or corned beef type of stuff. My question is if I wanted to do like a top round or a cut like that, where you would only smoke it to like 140 degrees, if you corn it do you still only cook it to the same temp level?

Also has anyone ever brined a pork loin like a ham? Just thinking out loud.

Never dunnit with a round, but yes you can cook it to whichever doneness you want. We take pastrami high because it's typically a brisket and it needs the time and the temp, but cook for the cut you're using. Curing and brining are vastly different, I assume you mean "cure" a pork loin like a ham? Never cured one but I've brined plenty.

Comment

• sthomasaz
      sthomasaz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I meant cured. Thank you. Sorry for the flub

I don't see why that method wouldn't work, should produce an interesting result. Curing and smoking a loin is Canadian bacon. Check these out if you haven't already: https://amazingribs.com/searchresults/curing

Comment

Had store bought corned beef and did SVQ per Clint Cantwell's recipe:

Pastrami is the ultimate expression of beef brisket, and it is at its best if you start with sous vide. To begin, prepared corned beef is rendered moist and tender thanks to a low and slow sous vide water bath. The meat is then smoked on the grill, creating mouthwatering sliced pastrami for sandwiches and more.

I read it wrong and took it to 140 instead of 125, but it was really, really, really (did I say really) good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pastrami.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	655821Click image for larger version

Name:	pastrami1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	655822

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, maybe not what you were asking, but I just wanted to say it was really good.

klflowers, I'd like to know if it was good though? Not really clear from what I'm reading.

Comment

Actually I've done both recently. I did the corned beef recipe from here and it rocked. Cured for a week or so (use the calculator) but I did brisket. A leaner cut would work but do some research.

I cured a pork loin roast according to the Canadian bacon recipe on this site and its great too. I cured for 10 days (about a 2.5 lb roast). I'd either back off on the salt a bit or desalinate as it comes out of the cure. Follow MH's recommendation to smoke at 325 and be done in ~1-2 hours or it will dry out. Mine took 90 mins. I'd do a little more sugar than called for too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here