Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami Attrition: How much weight my pastrami lost in my last cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami Attrition: How much weight my pastrami lost in my last cook

I usually keep track, especially when smoking brisket or pastrami, on how much weight the meat loses during the cook.

Last weekend, I did a 7 pastrami cook, 3 on the PBC and 4 on the WSCGC. The cook times and temps were close, about 8 to 9 hours depending on the thickness of the pastramis; all smoked at 275°ish cooker temps.

Five of the seven pieces were purchased on sale at Aldi, thanks to a tip received here on the Pit about on a sale on corned beef points and later on on corned beef flats.

Two of the pieces came from Sam's Club. They were more regular in appearance--both flats, both weighing in higher than any of the pieces from Aldi, some of which were pretty irregular in in thickness.

I was skeptical of the Aldi cuts, which were, on sale, easily 70% less in price. But I was wrong. The pastrami from those cuts was superb.

Just for grins and giggles, I decided to tally up the weights of each piece: untrimmed, trimmed, and cooked.

It's interesting to see the results.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pastrami Stats.JPG Views:	1 Size:	29.7 KB ID:	655271

I suspected the Sam's Club meat which was much more expensive compared to the Aldi sale prices might be better with respect to less loss. It is, because there was less initial waste due to trimming required for the two pieces compared to the Aldi pieces. But factoring in the cost, the Aldi sale price cuts were a good deal.

End result with respect to flavor, tenderness, and moistness: I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Storebought corned beef is very forgiving and IMO makes a delicious pastrami with a lot less mess and time involved.

In an earlier test, I compared my homemade corned beef-based pastrami with storebought corned beef which I made into pastrami. In that test, the homemade pastrami was prettier to look at as far as the visual texture of the slice (the storebought was more homogeneous in looks only) but I couldn't pick a winner with respect to taste, texture (mouthfeel) and moistness between the pastrami made from storebought vs. homemade corned beef.

I think my numbers are correct; I'm swilling wine as I type this.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; March 25, 2019, 04:15 PM.

Interesting. I agree that quality store-bought corned beef is the way to go. Our local butcher has a vacuum injection thingamajig that he uses to brine/corn beef and whole hams and it's just so much easier and fool-proof. It really sucks to cut into a home cured pastrami and discover that gray band in the middle. And I REALLY like the day drinking on a Monday morning ! Did you retire???
    Last edited by CaptainMike; March 25, 2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually it was 4pm in the afternoon when I was writing that, CaptainMike . Close enough to happy hour, I figured, especially since I was having a cheese, fruit, and wine snack because I hadn't eaten any lunch. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Kathryn

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I kind of figured that, but your 11:53 AM (my time) post time made me chuckle. You'll get no judgement from me!!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured I was in good company, CaptainMike.

K.

I am glad to hear that you couldn't tell the difference. It lets me put my meat fridge on hold - the biggest reason I wanted the meat fridge was to make pastrami. The first one I made a little while ago was from an Aldi piece of corned beef and it turned out really well.

And I am with CaptainMike on the Monday afternoon wine thing - I think it is great and I can't wait until I am able to do it - though it may be beer...

Comment

Thanx. Maybe next year 'cause I forgot to buy any on sale this year...

Comment

I use storebought, I agree with you. It is delicious and so easy. I wonder if there are vast differences in brands of corned beef, since some folks report it's not very good. My experiences are that it's always great.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I've used low sodium corned beef from Publix and from Harris Teeter, regular corned beef from Aldi, Sam's Club, and our local grocery. They've all turned out really good.

I dislike taking up refrigerator real estate for so long with a sloshy container full of brisket. It's no fun cleaning up brine if there's a leak or an accident either.

K.

If it’s not new bbq tricks, it’s English words you teach me. Love the expression ‘swilling wine’, new to me. I’m gonna work that into my vocabulary!

Comment

My pastrami attrition is usually proportionate to how many times I walk past the smoker or steamer.

Comment

The store bought pastrami out here is crap.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            You mean the corned beef? I’ve been lucky so far to find good storebought brands I guess.

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc yeah, the corned stuff.

In furtherance of Sam’s club (if their meat was better quality) for no reason at all. More fat would render adding to weight loss.

Dont happen o know the brand names of your purchase? Off the top of your head?

edit: And for the record I appreciate you grouping the flats and points for ease of reference. It’s the little things in life😀
          Last edited by HouseHomey; March 25, 2019, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey, the Aldi were just the Aldi brand, as I recall. Can't say for sure. The Sam's were Member's Mark. A couple of the Aldi pieces had a lot of hard fat on them, and were oddly shaped and smallish to begin with but were $1.99/lb. The Sam's Club pieces were picture perfect and much more expensive. But they all ate good.

Kathryn

I think that one reason a lot of folks like pastrami made from store bought corned beef is that most of the brands I have seen are tenderized with papain in the brine. I have yet to try home-cured vs store bought corned beef for pastrami. I will have to undertake this experiment.

I do do know that my home cured corned beef is waaaay better than any store bought. And I have my wife to back me up on that! 😎

one note: with store brand corned beef, you pay for a LOT of water weight.

Comment

Cheers fzxdoc. It's always 4:00 somewhere.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here