Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Tri-Tip

Did my first Tri-Tip on the Kettle w/SNS. 2 lb after trimming. Dry brined with 1/2t kosher per pound overnight and then a light dusting of 1/2t pepper, 1t garlic powder and 1/2t onion powder. KBB and Cherry chunks. Cooked at 225 for about 50 min to reach 110. Then seared, flipping every minute, until IT reached 125. Let rest 5 min before slicing. This was from Creekstone Farms. Response from family was "WOW". Good thing I bought 6. Thanks to all for their recommendations in prior posts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri1a.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	654790

Name:	Tri2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	654791

Name:	Tri4.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	654792

Great work. Just did the same today. My first. Cooked on the Hasty Bake. Loving that cooker!
    Attached Files

Comment

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      Did not mean to steal your post. Yours looks great!

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      No steal. Love your results.

WOW is the right choice of words. Very nicely done. šŸ‘ŠšŸ‘Š

Comment

Lol. Today must be creekstone tri tip day. I also did one but sadly i did not hit a home run on this one. So im gonna bow out and leave this one to the winners!

some great looking cooks guys.

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        If it weren't for your heads up on the Creekstone sale, I wouldn't have even had it to cook. Thanks.

Boom !! Drop the mic !!!!

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

Ahhh yeah. Letā€™s have some of that!

Comment

Looks great! Both of yours!

Comment

Isn't tri tip a great piece of meat. Very tasty and doesn't take all day to cook. Those Creekstone tri tips that you and DavidNorcross cooked up look great

Comment

Two exemplary tri tips. Well done fellas!

Comment

Looks wonderful! would highly recommend trying it with red oak instead of the cherry wood. Santa Maria style!

Comment

• theroc
                    theroc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fttank - If you drive north a bit, you can get small bags of red oak chunks for $8-9 at most Albertson's markets starting around Buellton and north to at least Paso Robles. It is from Nick's Firewood. Haven't seen a way to get it on-line, though. We stock up any time we go up there.

• fttank
                    fttank commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks theroc ! I'm heading to Paso on Thursday to hunt pig and turkey. I'll definitely have to hit up the local Albertson's! Don't need any right now, but gotta make hay when the sun shines.

• theroc
                    theroc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Perfect fttank. I've definitely found the red oak at the Albertson's in Paso. Good luck with the hunting. Sounds tasty.

Looks awesome! I've never had tri-tip, and it doesn't seem like they are commonplace around Florida. What would be a comparable cut of beef that I may have had like it?

Comment

• JPGators17
                    JPGators17 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Also, they said they don't know how many come in a package, but that they average 15-17 pounds. How much does an average tri-tip weigh?

• jlazar
                    jlazar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My Tri-Tips were 2-2.5lb.

• fttank
                    fttank commented
                    Editing a comment
                    By far my favorite cook. Easy and quick. Dry brine overnight. Pepper and Garlic granules. Smoke with red oak indirect. At 117, sear to 125. Serve with my family recipe of pinto beans and whatever veggie is in season. Maybe some grilled romaine.

Nice tri-tips, fellas. Iā€™m due for one myself.

Comment

A pair of nice pieces of beef. I got to get some of those.

Comment

Those are some beautiful results there!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here