Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver Cut!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denver Cut!!!

A co-worker of mine hooked me up with this 2.5 lb Denver Cut! He picked this up from Lowry Hill Meats in Minneapolis. It is a great shop. You can get any cut you want as they bring in sides of beef weekly.

Anyway, I just thought I should share! Happy grilling!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3775.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	653246Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3773.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	653247

Ok, first off - that marbling is off the charts! Secondly, I've never heard of a Denver cut. Where's it from?

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB Hahahahaha

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed awesome marbling !!! I saw a You Tube video on meat cutting and they introduced this cut. Curious as to how you are going to handle it and show us the result.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman I cut them into thick steaks, then shaped them into medallions, tied them up and reverse seared. It was excellent! I will be doing this again for sure!

Originally posted by JCBBQ View Post
    Ok, first off - that marbling is off the charts! Secondly, I've never heard of a Denver cut. Where's it from?
    Googling "Denver steak cut" will yield many results like this one: https://www.foodrepublic.com/2016/04...-a-denver-cut/

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice article, but Mr. Flanagan and I have way different opinions of what constitutes "cheap".
      Last edited by CaptainMike; March 21, 2019, 09:42 AM.

Porter Road sells it

Comment

Very Beefy and tender!

Comment

• BRic
        BRic commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice cut of meat nicely marbled . First time hearing about this type of cut .

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL, me too. Probably part of the reason why I am still single. CaptainMike

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Give it a run! BRic

I just recently cooked some denver steaks from porter road. Tasty, as Spinaker said, very beefy.

Like a sculptor prepping an exquisite block of marble to reveal the statue concealed within, Dale Woerner hesitates for a moment, his just-sharpened ten-inch breaking knife poised for the first crucial cut. This well-marbled specimen isn’t a slab of metamorphic rock, though, but a nearly 25-pound chuck roll isolated from...

this is a good write up on the denver steak and its "discovery"

Comment

"You've got Beef!"

Comment

Spinaker are you going to cut it into steaks? Excellent beef flavor.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I am not sure right now. That is a good idea.

Looks awesome. Can’t wait to see that bad boy ripping on the grill.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too.

Reading the linked article, I see that one of it's other names is boneless chuck short ribs. The local Costco carries them, and I have cooked them low and slow several times. They came out great. Now I wonderin' if I should try to get the whole piece before it's cut up. The marbling is super on the ones I have seen. I could also cook the strips.

Has anyone tried cooking Costco's chuck short ribs hot and fast?

Comment

Pastrami. But I have pastrami on the brain right now.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha. Me too. Doing my first attempt now.
              5-1/2lb flat in the cure right now. To be continued.

Well for crying out loud @Spinaker----what in the world are you going to do with that! It looks wonderful!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I am thinking I will cut them into steaks.

Like the others have said, that marbling is amazing! Take photos when you cook it, I'm curious!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh I will!

Just smoke it or grill it. Throw it in a large tortilla with some chili’s and cheese, roll it up and send it to me.

Dont worry, I’ll let you know how it was.

Comment

I did some research & the Denver cut was invented by a cousin of Bob Denver, his name was Ralph. And the guy who told me this stuff/research says it’s true. It’ll be interesting what the end result is from Ol’ Spin. 🕶

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahahaha, don't worry!

• Dick Anderson
                Dick Anderson commented
                Editing a comment
                I been thinkin' it was invented in Dobie's dad's market.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah man!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here