Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dino Ribs - Where to buy and is the SVQ worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dino Ribs - Where to buy and is the SVQ worth it?

Greetings meat friends -

I am planning on doing some big beef ribs on the smoker for the Game of Thrones premiere. I have a couple questions and hope you guys can help.

1. I am having a very difficult time finding the big plate ribs online. I may be able to get some from my butcher but I think for the most part they get sent to restaurants. I found these, described as chuck ribs, which look like a good alternative. Any opinions on cooking with chuck ribs versus the plate? Is it just a matter of size or is there a quality/taste difference?

https://www.crowdcow.com/products/ch...rt-ribs?filter[bid_item]=idymsrcmy

2. I'm curious about going SVQ on these. As a general matter I don't love steaks sous vide. There is something about letting the meat cook in air via reverse sear that produces a better texture and taste (in my opinion). However, I can see the benefit of going sous vide on these ribs to increase tenderness before chilling and then smoking. For those who have done both, is there a clear winner between traditional smoking versus SVQ, or is it just a matter of preference?

Thanks all.
    R2

Although a bit on the expensive side, I know Matador Prime Steaks carries them on their website. I also get them at either Costco or Whole Foods if either one is in your area. Here is the link to Matador Prime...

matadorprimesteak.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, matadorprimesteak.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Although others may disagree, I've done the large plate ribs both SVQ and straight smoke. I prefer the straight smoke to 200*+ internal. The bark is amazing and hard to achieve with the SV method. These big ribs are really pretty easy to cook so whichever way you choose pick a good source for the meat !!

I'd steer clear of Crowd Cow, I've had both good and bad experience with them and their shipping methods leave a lot to be desired !!!

Comment

• Randy-Phx
      Randy-Phx commented
      Editing a comment
      I went to the Matador website and have a question about their ordering. They ask for both:

Racks : (pick a number)
      Quantitypick a number)

What’s the difference? I just got out of the hospital and my heads a little fuzzy. So, cut me some slack if the answer is obvious.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      On racks you choose (1) single rib (2) double (3) large rib rack (4) chuck rack. Quantity is obviously the number each. I would buy the 3 rib rack, those are the large ones cut from the lower rib section. That’s how I understand it, you might give them a call to confirm.

I too am a fan of straight smoke. I've had good experiences with SVQ, but *to me* it has never been worth the trouble.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. I never know what I want to eat far enough in advance to make sv viable in my kitchen. Even brisket with its 24 hour lead time is stretching it, a lot.

Sam’s Club, at least at my closest store also carries them, normally in case lots, but you can ask for them to open the case to buy by the piece. They also might have an open case from cutting flanken style ribs. However, inspect each rib and reject any where most of the meat has been removed. The cases I have seen seem to have several shiners packed along with some beautiful ribs. I personally like them straight smoked too.

Comment

Whole Foods, if you have one near you. the one near me gets the huge slab and then trims them down to the short ribs in the case.

If I call the day before, he'll hold what I need for me.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        How much are they per pound?

• parkerj2
        parkerj2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hulagn1971 I think like 5.99/lb. its been a few months since i've bought them so im not certain.

Plate ribs are a bit better, due to greater collagen content.

I like em both ways, don't have the barking issue that other folks seem to have (crank the heat a couple notches guys), and do like them at 133x72 on the SV, and then shock and smoke for an hour and sear for seconds. It's not like just a straight smoke, it's more like a reverse sear post tenderization.

Comment

I have done plate ribs and some chuck ribs. Personally I prefer plate ribs since they are usually a bit bigger. Haven't eaten enough of them to really say one is better than the other though.

I know Snake River sell them but they are quite expensive. $125 a rack I believe. If you have a decent butcher you might ask if they have them. Most butchers sell them cut into short ribs but if you can get some before they cut them you are good to go.

Comment

I have not used this company, but me and a friend have been looking on the web to find a good source of plate ribs that don't break the bank like Matador or SNF. He found Simpson's Meats. They are out of Tennessee. $45 for a 4-6 lb. plate of short ribs. https://simpsonsmeats.com/
          Last edited by jghorton; March 21, 2019, 06:51 AM. Reason: updated the web address

Comment

I like to smoke them all the way. One thing to be careful of is the bones and the bags. They can puncture the bags and cause leaks.

Either way, I think it is tough to screw up beef ribs. They are so tasty anyway you make them.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1A877433-F7F0-4126-8F36-05127BBD0E7B.jpeg
Views:	7195
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	666819Click image for larger version

Name:	2C6076F0-C9B4-49BB-A853-FD144B646A63.jpeg
Views:	7489
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	666820 Game of Thrones success! Thanks everyone.

Comment

• dubob
                dubob commented
                Editing a comment
                So - SVQ or Straight smoker? The LOOK awesome.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
              I like to smoke them all the way. One thing to be careful of is the bones and the bags. They can puncture the bags and cause leaks.

Either way, I think it is tough to screw up beef ribs. They are so tasty anyway you make them.
              Excellent precaution reminder. For those of you that are concerned about leaks, there is an option to help prevent a bone puncturing the bag. I generally use 4 mil bagging material and don't have any trouble with punctures but I do have some of these just in case there is a possibility.
              Shop now and protect your vacuum packaging bags from tears and rips with VacMaster Bone Guard Sheets. Free shipping on orders over $99.

Comment

Yowza

Comment

To dovetail on this I'm going to a local butcher for some beef ribs. What are my instructions? I know the plate is better typically. So following some of the stuff on here do I ask him for (2) two, (3) three rib racks cut from the plate? Do I have them trimmed as well?

Comment

• SpeedyB
                    SpeedyB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    jbones I learned the hard way to buy them with as much meat on them as possible. Bought a 2.8 lb 4-bone rack in April and was less than ideal - they were shiners. Recently grabbed a 5.4 lb rack with about 1" meat on top and they were incredible.

Just ask for a 3 bone plate, he should know.

Comment

Perfect. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here