Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Katz's deli pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katz's deli pastrami

Using Meathead's recipe as a guide and some advice from fellow PBCer, fzxdoc, did some killer pastrami and made it into Reubens. Pretty darn good!
    Attached Files

Wow, looks close to the original
    Attached Files

Comment

• gabulldog
      gabulldog commented
      Editing a comment
      I couldn't make em quite as big! Those two flats go quickly when you're stacking a full lb on each sandwich...

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember 1st time in Katz and for that matter the now closed Stage Deli on about 7th and 57th. Ordering a pastrami sandwich on seeded rye with their mustard. Came with pickle and I think cole slaw. I don't exatrate when I say the beef was stacked at least 6 in. I was able to eat the entire meal. Now that was in the late 90's early 2000's. I was a youngster in my mid 40's. Now I'd be lucky to get through 1/2.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      RichieB I've not been to Katz, but have been to the Carnegie Deli, and thought the prices were high, until I got my sandwich, and realized it had a pound or more of meat on it! The wife and I worked hard to finish a shared sandwich...

That looks very tasty.

Comment

That looks fabulous. We too are lounging around here in a pastrami induced haze after giving @Meathead’s recipe a go.

Comment

• gabulldog
        gabulldog commented
        Editing a comment
        What, no pic?!

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        We ate all the evidence. Actually, your photos are much better than mine I going to pass on posting them.

That looks marvelous! I love seeded rye!

Comment

I made Meathead’s pastrami on my PBC a few weeks ago, came out incredible.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes, looks awesome! Is that a point?

Comment

gabulldog yes it is. I have made pastrami a few times, but this was by far my best attempt

Comment

• gabulldog
              gabulldog commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely have to try a point next time!

Good looking pastrami all around. If done properly following MH's recipe and maybe a few tweaks, I think it's as good as Katz's. We have a Katz Deli here in Houston that I eat ate every so often. Last time I was there I had a Reuben and meh, didn't impress me that much. Of course it's not the New York original but still, I think we as bbq cooks can do just as well !!!

Comment

• shify
              shify commented
              Editing a comment
              Any Katz’s in Houston, TX has zero relation to the original one in NY.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I checked, you are correct, local owner. My bad !! My statement stands regardless.

Looks good ! Thanks for sharing .

Comment

Wow, gabulldog , you did great on that pastrami feast. I'm glad the PBC came through for you once again. The meat looks beautiful and must have tasted even better. It's nice to know that you enjoyed the cook.

Kathryn

Comment

Great job! I corned a brisket for yesterday, fhe point became pastrimi and the rest was corned beef and cabbage. I’m getting better at it too. Still have room for inprovement. Which reminds me, the solution here is easy to figure out. Cure more brisket!

Comment

All this pastrami looks amazing! I have to do this soon!

Comment

Awesome! This is my favorite recipe on the site! I have a whole boat load of pastrami to make up this weekend!

Comment

I’ve got a point soaking in water right now. Rubbing tonight. Onto the PBC Wednesday.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                        ColonialDawg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Welp, I got busy and forgot that my point was soaking. 12 hours turned to 24 hours..... rubbed this morning. We’ll find out tomorrow if I screwed up.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here