Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1ST Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1ST Brisket

Bought #6.23 well trimmed, from HEB Ends were lopped off & butcher said, it was the "Flat"

In freezer now, soon though!
    Plan

Inject 6oz beef broth, upon thaw.
    1/4 tsb Morton Kosher per lb + liberal "big bad beef rub" 24hrs or more in chill chest?
    I will use GMG DB smoker, what flavor pellet? What temp?
    spritz hourly apple Worcestershire
    185F double wrap tight tin foil. Increase temp or just wait to, what temp 200,203 other

I'm not real sure that the butcher is correct, would "pic" id point or flat?

thanks
    rico

Welcome! Yeah, a pic would probably be enough to ID it.

Comment

Yes. A photo should help.

I have pretty good results following Malcom’s lead; not only with brisket, but everything else.

Hope this helps.

Comment

OK!
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for extra pics, newbie.

Thanks

Comment

Flat, that be!

Comment

Thanks Amigo! Anything diff, as it's a flat or recommend?

Comment

I like your plan of going to 185 until wrapping, you'll have good bark by that point. Since you're asking for suggestions, I would trim the fat cap to no more than 1/2" (personally I think 1/4" is too thin for a flat, you want that jelly-like fat on flat slices), being careful not to over-trim & scalp it, that's easy to do. Take it to ~195-200 in the thickest part, then drop your smoker's temp to 150 (or just close vents if using a charcoal cooker). Let the brisket's temp drop slowly for about another 2hrs. That is essentially the faux cambro hold, just easier than transferring it to a cooler or whatever. Then dig in! Slice across the grain 90*. Sometimes I'll put a toothpick in opposite the grain for easier identification of how to slice after the cook, since the grate marks can mess with ID'ing the grain afterward. Save the juices in the foil to drizzle back over the slices.

Comment

use Oak pellets if you can find some mesquite, mix them in with it; more Oak than mesquite though. I see both point and flat in the first pic. That's a whole packer. Plan is fine.

Comment

I'm kinda on the fence, it says whole brisket (whatever that means) which I'd tend to thing was a full trimmed packer, but the weight is throwing me off. 6.23# is an awfully tiny full packer even a trimmed one, lol !! Regardless, it's probably mostly flat so stick with your plan. The pellet choice is not critical; oak, mesquite or hickory will function pretty much the same in your GMG.

Comment

Huskee referring to your post #8 & my last pic post #4. That big white area is what needs to be trimmed to 1/2"
                      or should I look elsewhere. Also from the pic it appears 1/4" or less now

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, the "fat cap" is the side that's almost fully covered in fat. The other side, I'd recommend trimming all the fat & silverskin (the thin iridescent coating) off to get great bark. But it's not mandatory, especially if you doubt your own knife wielding skills.

The guys you are getting advice from know way more than me, so I am not going to offer any - all I got to say is open a brewski, sit back, and enjoy the cook. Briskets frustrate me to no end - my last full packer cook went 18 hours - I let it run through the stall and didn't wrap it - but it was oh so good when it was done. OK, one bit of advice - make some of this stuff:

In Texas the traditional barbecue sauce recipe is usually more like a tomato soup, thin and spicy, it penetrates the meat.

It is berry berry good.

Comment

Thanks! Printed recipe

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here