Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch oven pulled beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch oven pulled beef

Hello

I have just read about a beef recipe for the Dutch oven. It's called pulled beef. The description says 4 hours for 5lbs of beef. I'm wondering, because I would like to give it a try but only with 2lbs. What is the internal temperature of the beef to be pullable? Is it like the internal temperature for pulled pork or lower?

oh man,you are scraping the tip of the iceburg with this. do a smoked chucky it may just change your life. there is a lot of info on this on this forum

just do a search for pulled beef or wander around the beef forum. in the meantime this is a good place to start:
    Chuck roast has never tasted better. By using a low and slow barbecue technique, this already flavorful cut of beef picks up the wonderful taste of smoke and is rendered juicy and tender enough to pull into shreds. Using the pulled BBQ chuck roast method results in beef that can be used for tacos and countless other dishes.

to answer the question about temp: it is usually a little higher than pork because beef is a little tougher. in my experience it's 205-210, or whenever it passes the poke test (thermometer probe pokes through it like butter)

Comment

What you re essentially doing is making pot roast in a dutch oven. If the recipe calls for liquid in the DO, you are braising your meat. I generally cook pot roast until it is pullable. Normally the chuck roasts are two to three lbs and it takes around 3 hours at 350* to reach pullable, (with liquid in the DO). Could be a bit shorter or longer. Since it will be pulled anyway, I just stick a fork in it and twist. If it comes apart, it's ready.

You can leave the top off either at the beginning or the end to brown the meat.

Comment

Here's a fail-safe if a bit complicated recipe. It always comes out great. https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/clays-pulled-beef/

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here