Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami-Thinking about a first time try-Flat or Point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami-Thinking about a first time try-Flat or Point?

With St. Patrick's Day coming up, corned beef brisket will be on sale in the grocery store. I was telling my wife about trying Meathead's pastrami recipe and she ask me if I wanted the flat or the point? She said that the corned beef brisket flat is more expensive than the point. In the recipe Meathead states "...but I prefer the point section of the brisket because it is fattier, richer and more tender." What are your opinions for pastrami....flat or point?

For you, point. For me, flat.

Comment

I prefer brisket point, but flat can be great too. The point is well marbled and a bit more forgiving. The flat is very easy to dry out because it’s so lean.

Comment

I lean towards flat as well...Just pulled one out after a 7 day cure..
        Attached Files

Comment

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the chilis in the brine, I’ll have to try that. That might be the leanest flat I’ve ever seen!

• SonOfAButcher
          SonOfAButcher commented
          Editing a comment
          I got it at Publix...Never got one there before..Will give it a whirl...

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          If you got a loose rabbit in the house.....

I’ll take the point over the flat.

Comment

Point!

Comment

The point!

Comment

What's the point of this thread?

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                To leave you flat.

Flat for me. Don’t like all that fat in there. But for first time for you, maybe point is best.

Comment

This wa Click image for larger version

Name:	2d32d9a2dac670aadfefe48a2288e9.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	648524 s a flat I did awhile back. It came out really good.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice !!

Point...game, set, match

Comment

Wal-Mart has a bunch of corned brisket points on sale right now. I bought two.

Comment

My favorite for pastrami is the flat, I like it more sliceable for sammies.... for regular brisket the point is far & away my favorite but I've never been wowed by pastrami point.

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They corn better as well. I've had some thick points not get deep penetration, had to add them back into the brine.

Cash n Carry usually has some good 15 pounders. Best of both worlds.

Comment

if served hot out of the steamer, flat. if cooled, sliced, bagged and then used as coldcuts or reheated, point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here