Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low and Slow at 7000 ft altitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low and Slow at 7000 ft altitude

Water boils at about 198 F up here instead of 212 F at sea level. Therefore I can not reach 203 F to pull off my brisket as most directions recommend. What recommendations do have (like increasing cooking time due to lower temp) do you have?

P.S. I have a Kimado Joe Classic II
    Last edited by jhtenison; March 8, 2019, 03:45 PM.

Damm, Where do you live? On the side of K2? Move to a lower altititude.. Cook it 90 % then finish in a pressure cooker.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Lolol !

I live just this side of K2 in Santa Fe, New Mexico in the USA. Thank you for the pressure cooker idea...never would have thought of that!

John

Comment

You may never get to the temps we at sea level can achieve, but I think you just need to add more time to the cook. Remember brisket renders as a result of time and temperature. Lack of one will require more of the other.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Great post.

Troutman thanks for the advise! Would like to hear from other members who live up high like I do.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Watch how you say that.

I'm not a brisket guy but I do live at nearly your altitude (6300 ft.) here in Colorado. I'd suggest that when you wrap your brisket, do so using multiple layers of foil and make it really tight in order to take advantage of the braising/steaming effect and focus on probe tenderness rather than temperature. It'll take longer than it would at sea level but you'll get there eventually.

Comment

I cook on a BGE. I would think that with water boiling at 198 your stall would be shorter. Also, I pull my Boston Butts at an internal temp of 200. They should be fine pulling them at 195 especially if you wrap them and put them in a faux Cambridge for a couple of hours. You might go for probe tender (a probe feeling like it is going into soft butter) and record the internal temp. After a few cooks you should be able to establish a target temp.

Comment

I will try and see what happens...
          i am tired of having my 4 lbs of brisket turning into roast!

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm a bit lower at 4k, but I run brisket/butts at 250-275 straight through to probe tender. Briskets rarely go over 10 hours, but butts can take up to 14.

I live at 8530ft and have the same problems not getting those internal temps. Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to the Pit!

MBMorgan is right. Without trying to start an I am at a high altitude than you contest, you are going to have to cook to probe tender and focus on getting a really tight wrap when cooking at altitude. If you want to go the pressure cooker route, this is the only one I have personally ever seen that was big enough to hold a full packer.. https://www.bbqguys.com/r-and-v-work...ressure-smoker

Comment

• THE Humble Texan
            THE Humble Texan commented
            Editing a comment
            I found this an interesting piece of equipment. I have not seen anything about our great chefs testing this equipment and comparing the results to low and slow.
            Does anyone int the Pit have one of the pressure-smokers and uses it?
            Last edited by THE Humble Texan; March 19, 2019, 12:58 PM.

• tstalafuse
            tstalafuse commented
            Editing a comment
            They used to carry these at BassPro, or at least they had one at the BassPro in Grapevine, TX, but I don't see it on there website anymore.

I live in Colorado @ 7,000 feet. 225 - 250 degrees in a Large Big Green Egg indirect with liquid, usually pre-heated apple juice, in a drip pan. I wrap at the stall, usually around 160 degrees...and wait...and wait...and wait. Then I just let the Egg do its thing to 200 degrees internal temp. Cook times go all over the place. Some go 15 hours, some closer to 20 for the same size brisket.

Don't go the pressure cooker route. Meathead will find out.
          Last edited by Jim H; March 18, 2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• TBoneJack
            TBoneJack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah. If you use a pressure cooker, the terrorists win.

So much for the low in low n’ slow since some of ya’ll are up there. Most interesting advice from the Pit as always.

Comment

welcome - I'm not far from you, just a bit south of Santa Fe! But, yes, like others have stated, cook to probe tender. Many use 190-195 as the temp to start checking on probe tender. I'd also recommend trying larger cuts? small cuts can take long, may not smoke as well as the larger cuts. Are you smoking flats or points when you say 4lb briskets? if the flat, then that could also lead to drier brisket.

Just a few thoughts to consider. Enjoy the forum - I'd guess, you won't be a trial member long, as it's a great place to learn!

Comment

Thank you to everybody for your help on this! I will give it a lot more patience after I wrap it and wait until it is fork tender which may be longer than I guessed! I will also try the point instead of the flat I guess that time rules at 7000'!
              Last edited by jhtenison; March 18, 2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I live at 7200', you can reach an IT of 203, though it take a long time. Target the mid-190's then start probing. Do it enough and you'll fine tune your cooks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here