Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Road denver steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porter Road denver steaks

I picked up some denver steaks when i placed an ordet with porter road. Ive never eaten or cooked them before so im curious.

This dry aged, hand-cut steak is a hidden gem that you won't find at the grocery store. Denver Steaks are amazing seared, sous vide, smoked, braised, or grilled. All of our beef are pasture-raised with no antibiotics and no added hormones. We dry age our beef whole to give each and every cut a rich, steakhouse flavor.

That said, im following their recipe of sous vide at 125 for 4 hours and then sear off.

Dry brined them overnight and currently in the sous vide for a late lunch for the wife and I.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7CB31486-98AA-459F-AE19-E6820A75A10E.jpeg
Views:	230
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	647227

Another cut I never hear of, and I worked in a butcher shop for a few years back in the day. I'm curious to hear a review after they get eaten.

Comment

Never heard of that cut either. Hope they turn out great.

Comment

Interesting cut, taken from below the chuck eye. Cool find, let us know how it turns out, I'm sure interested !!!

Comment

Some interesting info on the so called denver steak...def worth the read.

https://medium.com/@ButcherBox/the-d...n-d5e03af507ed

EDIT: a much better write up https://www.westword.com/restaurants...ition-11258316
          Last edited by grantgallagher; March 8, 2019, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Just cooked some sous vide the other night. Good stuff. Believe it or not they have them regularly at the local Food Lion. 5.99 or 6.99/lb. Someone here in The Pit eats them pretty regularly but I can't remember who.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E3395C39-63C6-4A59-AD2C-049DBB17D5B8.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	647321Click image for larger version

Name:	4240B113-8832-47D1-A76B-BFC06B11D3CA.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	647320
              Thiughts to follow

Comment

Lookin' good.

Comment

Soooooo...

First off, definitely got the fantastic beef flavoryou would expect coming from the chuck primal. Porter road also dry age all their meets for 14 days so that possibly played into the flavor profile a little as well. Very deep, earthy beef flavor. I only dry brined and then peppered.

Texture wise it is pretty tender, similar to filet but with a little more bite or tug to it i would say. Miles more flavor than filet.

I have two more in the freezer which i will prob do hot and fast at some point on the grill just for comparrisons sake.

If i were to sous vide them again i might take the temp up a few degrees. After the sear they were still a little too rare for the wifes taste.

Overall id say they were great but im not sure its something i would go out of my way to keep stocked in the freezer, definitely glad i tried them though.

Comment

Denver steak = Teres-major? Looks like they could be the same. I've heard of teres-major but I've never been able to source them.

An overview of the artisan cut of steak known as the Teres Major steak or Petite Tender or Petit Shoulder Tender and how to grill it properly

grantgallagher steaks do look great though.

Comment

They are different cuts but from the same area i believe. If you read the second link i have posted above it details how denver, teres major, and one other cut were essentially "discovered" and introduced to the market not too long ago.

Comment

• rodkeary
                        rodkeary commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good to know. Thanks. I wonder what the cuts were used for before they were "discovered"?

• SonOfAButcher
                        SonOfAButcher commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Back in the day we would basically sell those cuts as a rolled chuck roast, or cubed into stew beef. Not too many customers asked for denver, flat iron,or teres major steaks..I remember grinding them for ground chuck as well when we ran low on plate and neck chuck..But then again we sold prime porterhouse back then on special for 1.99 a lb..times sure have changed!

Here is a good video breaking down a whole chuck showing where the Denver steak is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEF7Qrz5DJ4

I'm always amazed watching videos like this how guys can just be hacking some hunks of meat with their knife and then all of a sudden: STEAK

Comment

• JoeSousa
                        JoeSousa commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And now I am in a rabbit hole of watching butchering videos that will probably take up most of my afternoon.

Man as always ya learn a lot from this site. We have been eating cow's for century's and this cut was just found 10 years ago. Nice looking steak with plenty of marble. Good job. I have to have some now. And I'm guessing it was just ground into hamburger before. Thanks for the info and wright up bro.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here